Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

Developer
rafo
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

A question regarding GPS

I've a BB 8800 device. It is connected to a wireless carrier that does not support BES nor BIS. In another words I use this device as a mobile phone.

When I open Options->Advanced Options-GPS and run menu: "Refresh GPS" I get no GPS information (indoor and outdoor).

There are zeroes in Latitude and Longitude.

My question is: does the GPS on BB8800 depend on wireless carrier and my data plan?

I understand that to display maps I have at least GPRS-internet service enabled to access and download blackberry maps.

But I get no results when I just run GPS Options and run Refresh GPS info.

Could you please explain. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Thanks.

----------------
if your issue solved set "Solution" mark at the relevant post
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
jrdante
My Device: Blackberry 9530

Re: A question regarding GPS

It usually depends on your wireless carrier.  I have Verizon Wireless and the GPS is totally useless.  I tried to use google maps and the GPS system works but is not very accurate. 

** Don't forget to resolve your post with the accepted solution.
Please use plain text.
Developer
rafo

Thank you
----------------
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ednaz

I'm sure whether GPS works at all or not depends on whether the carrier enables it. But even if they do, it can be pretty dicey. I have Verizon in the US, and subscribe to the GPS service. I find it's pretty good - when it works. The biggest problem is that about every four or five days it won't connect to any GPS signals on the Verizon GPS service, nothing but "can not connect" error messages, and I have to do the "remove the battery and let it sit for a really long time" reset drill in order to get service back. Oddly, it'll work just fine on Google Maps in that condition, but not on traditional GPS. Wish I knew the cause, since it seems that I'm always in dire need of GPS when it chooses to fail. Four or five days of everything working well, then I'm in a strange city and need to get from the airport to hotel - and it won't work, so I end up in some mall parking lot staring at my phone and battery displayed on the seat next to me, waiting for some kind of magic re-set to happen. The good news is that the reset always seems to work. The bad news is that I'm told there's no alternative to wasting 20 minutes to get a good reset. I'm probably two resets away from cancelling the GPS service, it's just unpredictable as to when it's going to fail. Google Maps really isn't very accurate in showing you where you are, but has its uses. We're house hunting and I find that using Google Maps while we're looking at a nice house has kept us from making a couple mistakes - has found some really nasty industrial facilities just the other side of a treeline, for example. I also use it to find restaurants that are close enough to my hotel (so total accuracy doesn't matter) to order in.
Please use plain text.
Developer
rafo

Thank you. Your information is helpful.

Thanks again.

----------------
Please use plain text.
Contributor
kc2oal

i know the fustration i dont use verizon subcription, if i need it its 2.99 a day for 24hrs i have a curve and its bought from verizon

a good friend of mine told me to buy a external gps bluetooth reciver just make sure its cabatable with the gps software your using

( check the protacal )   they go for $30-$100 works great.. never failes....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kc2oal

sorry i messed up the tag thing at bottom i was trying to edit my post
Please use plain text.