Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

monkeyking
My Device: RIM 850
My Carrier: 4156905180

Any way to use a RIM 850 now?

I got my 850 back out, and it's clear the keyboard and mouse are far superior to anything any company makes or has ever made for real typing.

So I thought ... I wish I could activate this thing for email or chat or something.  I thought about 3 things - in order of most optimal first:

1)  Find a way to have it use an internal 802.11g modem, so that it becomes an internet wireless device, or if it's easier a GSM SIM card.

2) Find a DATATAC to 802.11g gateway device to plug into a normal wireless router.

3) Find a way to convert it into a bluetooth keyboard (why not, it's better as simply a keyboard and mouse than anything I could find after a few hours of searching and looking.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone trying to do a little hw/sw conversion?  I searched but I can't find anything like this online.

Maybe another option is RIM sells the rights to the devices and software for the 850/950 to the Chinese who make lots of devices for cheap and they manufacture it as a cheap text / mail messaging device to sell to people who have real work to do but want to type at 40 WPM with no repetitive stress rather than the finger-aching motions now that get you 15 WPM on all existing thumb boards.

Anyway who has used these keyboards can testify to the speed and ease of typing, even if they don't sport a browser, phone and other things I could live with.

I've had recent model blackberries and every model of iphone and many many different models of phones, pages, etc.  It was never much better than when I had a cell phone smaller than a credit card from Hong Kong and my RIM 850.

2nd best setup I had was also a blackberry, but again with that sort of solid Germanic engineering - this time from a Siemens SK65.  Sometimes I consider just getting a cheap SIM card for text messaging and pulling it out of the closet because it was still far better than any existing keyboard though nothing of the elegant beauty of the RIM 850 or RIM 950.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
lfang
My Device: Blackberry 9630 & 8830
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Any way to use a RIM 850 now?

I know how you feel trust me. I have a two 957's I'd love to bring back to life. I did a search and found a company called Velocita wireless - not sure where they're located - that may have been doing something with the 950 and 957. This was posted back in September 2010. No other info available.

Please use plain text.
Msoghaier
My Device: Rim 850
My Carrier: Cingular

Any luck with this ??? I too would love to figure out how to get my black beauty up and running again. If not just for quick messaging.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
markfptuson
My Device: RIM 7230
My Carrier: O2

I know this is a dead topic, but I'm wondering if anyone has one of these that they'd be prepared to sell? I've had similar thoughts about getting them to work (though my thought was a DataTAC/gprs bridge) but either way I'd like to get hold of one to add to my collection of hardware and software.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.