Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry 8830 Firmware Upgrade & micro SD Card

Just purchased a new Sprint Blackberry 8830 World Edition Phone a few weeks ago. Here my questions: The current firmware is 4.2.2.123, the latest firmware for this phone is 4.2.2.365. Upgrade? Yes or No? Why?Why not?

Second question: Pretty much all sources list the maximum micro SD card to be inserted into this phone is 2GB. I have not purchased a card yet, I am wondering if the firmware upgrade will also allow me to use a higher capacity SD card? 8GB? 16GB? I also saw that there are micro SD and micro SDHC cards - what is the exact difference? What is type and size are recommended? Any brand that is recommended? Anything specific to watch out for? Would greatly appreciate any educated advice offered! Thanks!

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Blackberry 8830 Firmware Upgrade & micro SD Card

Depending on what OS your BlackBerry is tells you what size microSD card you can buy. You can check under Options | About (will be listed as v4.xx.xxx). Look at the chart at the following link to see what size you can obtain - http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB05461

The BlackBerry supports both microSD and microSDHC cards. SDHC is a newer format that supports much higher total capacity than the SD cards.

Any brands should so. Most popular brands may be SanDisk or Kingston. I have a 2GB Kingston one.

You have to see about loading another carrier's 8830 to get the 4.5 OS to get a higher capacity card. As always before any software update, make sure you backup your device by using the Desktop Manager's Backup and Restore feature.

Can follow the steps here, but you'd have to find the 8830 somewhere else to download it . The below steps are for the 8800 model.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/151873-latest-os-8800-4-5-0-108-4-5-0...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Blackberry 8830 Firmware Upgrade & micro SD Card

I just got the newest 8830 few days ago (Sprint). It comes with 4.50 firmware and10 GB memory. I thought it only had 1 GB so I went and got 4 GB SDHC card. When I installed it I got about 13 GB. I was gonna buy 8 GB but my friend who has had a curve for a while told me that the max capacity is 4 GB. I would have bought 8 GB (Or nothing) had I known that it has about 10 GB already. Oh, well! The 4 GB was only $20 (The 8 GB was $26).

A