Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 8820
My Carrier: Mobistar

Broken USB port - how to save Address Book

I have a BlackBerry 8820 - use it daily - got it Sept 2007.  Well I have not backed-up my Address Book and I have 223 names there. Now my USB port (recharger port) is broken and I really would like to back-up the addresses.  It's a company BB with an enterprise contract I believe-- but I don't think that automatically backs-up individual address books ???

Is there a way to back up via Bluetooth?  I guess if the USB/recharger port was repaired then I'd be OK - the address book is in memory somewhere-- but it seems after 2.5 years and with other things (like the trackball) failing - they will simply replace this BlackBerry

Can I move the address book to the media card?  Then I can move it back if I get a new BB.

Thanks for any comments here.

Steve

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Broken USB port - how to save Address Book

If you're device is on a BES then it should sync your address book wirelessly if you're using Outlook. If you're using  Notes then it may not sync wirelessly. You can check on the device is the Address Book is setup to sync wirelessly by going into the Address Book, hitting the menu button, then choosing Options. See what your wireless synchronization line is set to. If it's turned on then all your names/addresses should be in your email client.

You can also check out this kb article about syncing via Bluetooth: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB04132

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Solutions: 6,140
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

If you are not BES, you can sync your contacts OTA to a service like miQLive.com

Check it out.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks very much!  I will check with my administrator- we have PC's at work and are using Outlook so I may be OK!  Unfortunately I'm not much of a PC pro as I've used Macs 95% of the time since 1989...  I should have backed-up onto my Mac when the Desktop Manager came out for Mac back in October 2009 --- OK well I am hoping your information along with our administrator can save me.

Thanks very much!

Steve

New Contributor

OK that's great info, too!  What I'm wondering also is this:  Much of what I have on my BB8820 is on my MacBook's Address Book.  If I manually verify this (i.e. update everything on my Mac's Address Book program - likely not more than an hour or 2 of work) - then if I get a new BB can't I use the "BlackBerry Desktop Manager" for Mac to load my Mac Address Book to my new BB?

Thanks for any comments!

Steve

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Yes that will work also. If you download the Desktop Manager for the Mac you'll able to do this. Good luck!  :smileyhappy:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.