Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

New Developer
rajivenator
My Device: Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Vodafone

Dev Alpha 10.0.9.388 Camera bug

Hi I updated my original dev alpha device to the newest OS release... While all the features are good.. the problem is with camera when i start the camera it displays a black screen ..all the camera functions work though and it can take photos..only the display becomes black..when we rotate the device the black screen disappears for a moment and then reappears... 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
djreyes
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Dev Alpha 10.0.9.388 Camera bug

[ Edited ]

I've got the same issue with one of the Dev Alpha devices in the house. The other ones are fine but just one has this issue. I've tried reloading the OS but it still has the same problem. Blank screen.

If I tap the bottom left corner to load up the picture taken, it will appear. It just has a blank screen when in the view finder.

Please fix.

DJ Reyes
Please use plain text.
Contributor
schmidtec
My Device: Not Specified

I am also having this issue. I see the Camera app for .5 seconds and then black. I rotate the device and it shows for .5 seconds again. I've read the forums and tried the reboot, reset and fingers crossed methods. I'm on 10.0.9.388. Please advise. 

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
smcveigh
My Device: developer
My Carrier: other

This appears to be a graphics bug which only affects a handful of original Dev Alpha devices.  This happens on all apps that start a camera viewfinder.

I managed to get my hands on one of the affected units and the graphics team are investigating.

You might have some success going through the RMA channels and trying to get it replaced.

Cheers,

Sean

Please use plain text.
Contributor
schmidtec

Thank you for your reply, Sean.

I called BB Support and they told me to email btsbetasupport@rim.com regarding my device.

I Googled the email address and this showed up: https://developer.blackberry.com/blackberry10devalpha/

At the bottom of the page are more support details:

Support

In the event you run into device hardware issues with the alpha device you received (ie won't power on) please contact us at btsbetasupport@rim.com and provide the following information:

-Your name

-The OS version (On the device, tap the Settings icon > About > General > OS Version)

-An overview of the issue you experienced

-Steps used to reproduce the issue

-Reproducibility of the issue (constant, frequent, seldom, just once)

I put this info into my email and sent it off to them asking for an RMA.

Thanks again,

schmidtec

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
williamukoh
My Device: Dev Alpha A

Any fix yet?
Please use plain text.
smcveigh

not yet.  It was investigated thoroughly, but was shown to be intermittent on specific hardware.

we're still tracking it, and would be very interested to hear of any reports on Dev Alpha B hardware.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
schmidtec

After I sent in my RMA request I was told there were no replacement devices available. She said they were going to be making more and when they were available she would start my RMA process. I've contacted her twice since then and she's said the new devices aren't available yet and that she will contact me when they are ready.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil:" It sure would be nice to have a working Dev Alpha device..."

schmidtec

Please use plain text.
smcveigh

I guess just keep bothering.  They are handing out Dev Alpha B units at the Jam events, so I don't understand why they wouldn't have any on hand to replace yours with.

There will never be any more Dev Alpha A devices available.. so I hope they're not gating your request on that condition ever being met.

Feel free to CC me on your communication with the RMA folks. smcveigh at qnx dot com.

You could perhaps solicit a member of the community that doesn't need to develop camera software to swap with you.

Cheers,

Sean

Please use plain text.
Contributor
djreyes
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Orange

I sent an email and a got a reply the other week. I was never told anything about replacement and that the issue was software. I would have to wait for an OS update coming soon.

I believe there is an update coming later this month, so I hope that this will indeed fix the problem.

DJ Reyes
Please use plain text.