Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Does blackberry work without SIM card? What functions work?

rachelprentiss wrote:

I currently own a Blackberry Bold 9000 with no SIM card.

I just wanna know if I can still use wifi and blckberry app world. 

Hello,

I've no idea, it may greatly depend on the carrier, the capability of your BB, etc. You will need to do some research about that. But, you can read this for general guidance:

AppWorld, while not listed, is nevertheless a BB-proprietary service, requiring subscription to a full BB data plan to use it. It does not matter what channel you access these services via, carrier data network or WiFi...you must subscribe to them ($$$$) either way to be granted access to them.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Visitor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

I have a 9800 Blackberry Torch

Solutions: 6,163
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

jsnbei, welcome to the forums.

What's your question?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I also have a Torch 9800 I am looking at for my old boss, He says was on the phone and it dropped the call. Powered off? but re-booted and a few minutes later shut down. Ever since wont turn on, screen just stays black with red light flashing 12 sec on and 15 sec off. You can hear the computer connecting and disconnecting with the red light cycle. BBDM sees the phone but wont connect, you can see in the lower right connect to phone also cycling to the red light. A warning about the device not rebooting pops up about the device not booting with the option to reload the OS. This option fails at "Reconnecting JVM". I have read the forums an have tried to use the manual method and still fails to connect JVM
Battery at 3.41V, rated 3.70V charged with external charger to 4.11V. Battery removed from phone.
Run Loader.exe (also tried /nojvm) from admin command prompt.
Plug into usb, sees phone. (red light goes off and does not cycle)
Sees device software package installed, click finish
Erases apps and installs OS, (put battery back in) gets to initializing device, red light starts cycling again (no boot screen) goes to re-connecting JVM and the error "could not connect" again. During my testing I have never seen anything on the screen, just the red light and computer sound. He gave it to me without a sim card installed thinking there was a remote possibility that was keeping it from booting with screen activation. BBMCP and SAK cant wipe the phone or install os...Dead. I have tried everything I can think of.
Let me know if you have any ideas???
Thanks,
Harry
Solutions: 6,163
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Have you tried a different battery?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, He tried a new battery out of the package in the store which whould have had enough power to make the screen turn on I suppose. I manually charged his original battery externally since the phone does not charge the battery in this condition even while plugged into a 2 Amp factory usb charger over night. (HTC very strong)  I also used a fully charged HTC EVO 4G battery with the same voltage rating, 1500Mah rating (slightly higher) which has the same pin configuration. The internal thermo diode may be of a different resistance range but this would only present an issue if the BB actually charged the battery. No matter what I do the same result...The red light flashing, blank screen with dis/connect sound cycling and I can see in the device manager "RIM Device:" cycle with the red light and sound. Loader.exe run from rhe command prompt is the only difference that when it connects the red light turnd off up until the software initializes the device it starts cycling again and then JVM fails to connect.

Thanks