Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

jkryslur
My Device: Not Specified

Does pocketmac software work with my Curve?

trying to use pocketmac desktop software to sync my ical and address book to my new Curve via a brand new USB cord. I keep gettng an error message that says...

The "pocket sync manager" window says... synchronization failed

and I get  a pocketsync manager pop up warning window that says...unable to connect to blackberry (error 1) skipping

is my cord just 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
PocketMacAnne
My Device: 8300

Re: Does pocketmac software work with my Curve?

There is a solution for this.  You have one of the newer devices that needs an extra patch. Here's how to get that:

First, visit the download page: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/mac.jsp

and start the download process again. As you move to the download screen, select PocketMac V4.0.20b for BlackBerry. Then, on the next screen, you have two program choices to download.

You have probably already downloaded the first one, under the heading "PocketMac v4.0.20b for BlackBerry." If you have erased it, go ahead and download it again.

Since you have one of the newest devices (like the 8110, 8120, 8130, 8310 or 8330), you may also need to download the patch that allows you to connect to those as well. That patch is on the same page, under the heading, "PocketMac Driver update -- DriverUpdate.dmg."

TO INSTALL:
1. IMPORTANT: Disconnect your BlackBerry from your Macintosh.
2. If you uninstalled PocketMac for BlackBerry, reinstall the main program now.
3. When the installer is finished, you will be prompted to restart. DO NOT click the restart button.
4. Install the Driver Update file please, this installer will complete very quickly.
5. Finally, restart the Macintosh now that the software application and driver updater installers have been completed.

After the restart is complete, please launch PocketMac for Blackberry, then plug-in your BlackBerry handheld. Click the Sync button to begin the synchronization session.

If you still can't connect, here are some steps you can perform to make sure the new patch is installed correctly:

1. Please unplug your BlackBerry and count to 60 seconds. This allows the
driver to completely release. (Likely, the driver wasn't released last time you tried installing the patch, so the new one didn't install correctly.)

2. Please open Finder, and locate the following folder: MacintoshHD/System/Library/Extensions/.

3. Within the "Extensions" folder, you will see a list of .kext files. scroll down the very long list, and locate the two files that start with "BlackBerry" files.

4. Please remove both of these files from your Mac: "BlackBerry.kext" and "BlackBerryUSBDev.kext". You will need your Apple Administrator user account password to remove these files from the Extensions folder. After you do so, empty your trash, please.

6. Install the driver again. After you've finished the installer/driver package, please restart your Macintosh.

7. Finally, plug-in your BlackBerry handheld, then launch PocketMac for BlackBerry. The PocketMac Sync Manager should now be able to find your BlackBerry.

---------------
Have a great day!
Anne M.
PocketMac Team
Direct support available for PocketMac for BlackBerry FREE at http://tinyurl.com/RIMsupport
Please use plain text.
DWG
DWG

The information you gave worked except for a little problem. I started the first time sync and it seemed to not finish after quite a while (hours). When I cancelled the sync, a message stated that not all the information may have been copied. I then checked and found that was true. I then restarted the sync again, it continued for hours again, got the same message, checked again and found more information. Anyway, this continued all day yesterday ionto the evening and it never completed the sync and not all the information was paseed.
Please use plain text.
sriley336

I am having a similar problem...I have downloaded the pocket mac and driver updates but when I plug my BB in it keeps restarting over and over again and doe not recognize the device therefor it does not sink. So I used your swecond bit of advice; deleting the extension files and then re-installing the driver update, when I plugged the BB back in it connected but then just continued restarting.  When I open up the BB in the sync manager it shows my device pin but it will not connect....any ideas?????  I am getting really frustrated with all of this and have spent way to much time messing with it....can anyone help?

thanks 

Please use plain text.