Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630 VZW Personal Use BIS OS 5.0.0.732
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

How To Turn BB Email Reception On and Off

I'm a new BB user; there are unnecessary emails d/l to the hand held whenever I'm in the offfice.This is an unwanted burden to me and is a waste of bandwidth. And even when I'm out of the office for a while, I may not want emails on the BB.

Is there an email "toggle" switch. Still need to keep SMS and MMS live.

TIA...Bill

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: How To Turn BB Email Reception On and Off

Hi there!

Designed as email primary devices, they don't actually make it easy to shut off such a core and base function. You've got a few options, but the best one IMO is to manage your default filter in BIS (assuming you are BIS...you didn't say...). You can configure that to block all email from coming to the HH. Setup > Email Settings and edit the filters of the account. Set the "When no filters apply" filter to "Do not forward...". This, of course, will interact with any other filters you may have on that account. You will have to return that setting to the opposite when you want to start receiving email again.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630 VZW Personal Use BIS OS 5.0.0.732
My Carrier: Verizon

Hi sd....

Thank you for your suggestion. You know much more about RIM than I! I will accept that the BB gods are not really interested in that small part of the universe that does not care to be connected 24/7. I am working hard to check email 1X day. But I do want wireless voice 24/7.

Setting the email filter under Setup will take perhaps 45 to 60 seconds. Probably the same in reversing. The unwanted and unecessary d/l emails can certainly be deleted in much less time.

The sound option was not readily found as I searched while composing this reply (I'm new at this) but I think sounds of incoming emails can be set to silence. That will be some consolation - at lunches and at bedtime.

I thought these things were supposed to make our lives easier... Smart phone I question.

Again, I really appreciate you advising me as to what RIM (and maybe VZ) will allow in regards to customer preferences.

btw, I am BIS and also have a user@vzw.blackberry.net account. Is this BES?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

One of the standard profile/sound settings is "Phone Calls Only" - I always activate that at night.

No -- the @vzw account is not BES. BES is a corporate (typically) server, inside of a firms network, that provides the conduit between the corporate messaging system (e.g., Notes, Exchange) and the corporate BB's. BIS is the carrier hosted solution to provide a conduit between internet facing email systems (e.g., Yahoo, GMail) and personal BB's (though it can also be used to connect to corporate OWA if it faces the internet).

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code