Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

New Contributor
battlewear
My Device: Not Specified

How to update my 8700r

Good Day

Recently I attempted to put a new application on my blackberry. In the attempt it told me that I needed to have version 4.2 and it appears that I have 4.1

I would like to update my BB, but have no idea how to do that. I went to a Rogers store in my area, they said to call the help line, and sadly they were not the least bit of help. 

I got this phone from my company as it was no longer needed and was going to be tossed out..

Can any one give me fairly easy instructions on what to do?

I downloaded BB Device Manager 4.2, but it asks for a password for "windows login information".. I have no idea if this is supposed to be the one on my computer or something else. I dont have a log in password. on my personal computer so I am not sure what it is asking for..

Any help? PLEASE :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks

Forums Advisor III
bumblepie
My Device: 8110, 8300, 8800, 8700, 9000

Re: How to update my 8700r

You need to get 4.2 DEVICE SOFTWARE. Not Desktop Manager.

This is available from your carriers website.

Here is the DIRECT link for the ROGERS device software.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=1905AEDAB9BF2477EDC068A355BBA31A

From the drop down box you need to select what device you have... 8700r and then the highest download option on the page.

Which would be this one:

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.1.163 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.2.1.163
Consisting of:
  • Applications: 4.2.1.101
  • Software Platform: 2.3.0.81
  • File name: 8700M_PBr4.2.1_rel163_PL2.3.0.81_A4.2.1.101_Rogers
  • File size: 63.0 MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

Once promted, you save it to your desktop. Once download, you double click the file to install it to your computer.

THEN, you connect the device and it will prompt u to upgrade it.

If not, go to application loader and it will do it from there.

***************************************************************************************************
If your issue is resolved, put a checkmark in the green box that contains the resolution.
OR
If it was just/or also really helpful - Give it a Kudos.. Go on Mate.. Help the rest of the clueless blackberry user world find their answer too..
~Gday from Down Under~
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: How to update my 8700r

You can update device software online.

Connect your device via USB-cable to the computer.

Launch Internet Explorer

Open this address: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/devices/

Click on "Update Now"  button