Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

New Contributor
JohnVHughes
My Device: Pearl

Lack of range with Storm2

I have purchased a Storm 2 in the UK and have been pleased with the genarl functions and look however...the range of the device is significanlty less than the several Pearls I have used over 4/5 years. This is evident at home but particularly in the car. Following advice from the seller and from BB I have tried many ways of using the phone but with no increase in sensitivity. I drive a well defined route to/from work and so the number of drop outs and their duration is easy to calibrate against other phones and other BBs. BB insist that the phone works the same as other Storm 2s but won't make any comment regarding the comparison with the Pearl. This leaves me very disappointed and I wonder if there is any advice ourt there regarding either the range issue or how to approach BB.

John Hughes

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,955
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Lack of range with Storm2

Any chance you can drive that route with a friend with a similar Storm2, and see if there's any difference?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JohnVHughes

Unlikely but BB insist the device I purchased is simlar to other Storm 2s.

John

Please use plain text.
JSanders

If your Storm2 is a Storm2, then it is the same as other Storm2 device.

But if you want to blame the device, that model, ask a friend with the same device to try their reception in the same areas as you.

Or get an exchange at your dealer and see if it is better.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JohnVHughes

Thank you for the comment.  Problem is that I accept the Storm 2 is proobaly like other Storm 2s as BB maintain. My problem is I have a Pearl too and bought the Storm 2 to replace it thinking the range would be the same or similar. I have to continue to use the old Pearl because it's range is ok. BB insist that the relative performmance between the Pearl and Storm 2 is irrelevant and refuse to authorise the reseller to refund.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Ok, but I don't accept that, lol, which is why I was encouraging you to check this out.

ALSO -- I've seen this all too often -- Did you move the SIM card from the Pearl to the Storm2?

Go by your store and get a simple SIM swap for a new in the Storm2, and now try it. Many times I've seen a different SIM make a difference. Remember, the Storm is 3G and the Pearl 8100 is not, and newer SIMs work better on the new devices.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.