Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

MSC
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Most Painless way to switch to a new BlackBerry

I’ve had the same device for several years now, a 7130c through AT&T.  Like many, I’m eagerly anticipating the release of the new BlackBerry Bold and plan to upgrade as soon as it is available.  My question is, what is the easiest and most painless way to handle this switch?  Is there a way to make sure that all the settings, preferences, options, profiles, bookmarks and programs that are currently on my 7130c make their way to the Bold without a major hassle?  (Note:  I’m comfortable handling all the synching between the BB and Outlook – contacts, tasks, calendar, notes, and I’ll be staying with AT&T and keeping the same phone number).

Currently:

• BlackBerry 7130c
  • Software v4.1.0.321 (Platform 2.1.0.26)
  • PC running Windows XP (with most updated Service Packs)
  • Outlook 2003
  • BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.1.1.9
  • Splash ID 3.41 (stores all personal information, PWs, etc.)
  • 3 email accounts
  • Utilize BIS (no Exchange or Enterprise)

Is there a method, or application, that will back up all settings, programs, profiles, etc. and then allow them to be easily installed on the new device?  Or should I just set aside a weekend to make sure everything gets up and running?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Forums Advisor II
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

Re: Most Painless way to switch to a new BlackBerry

Use the Device Switch Wizard that is part of Desktop Manager.
MSC
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks for the suggestion.  A couple of questions:

What's the best way to upgrade from Desktop software v 4.1 to 4.2 (where it appears the "Device Switch Wizard" can be found).  I've looked for a "check for upgrades" function within 4.1, but can't find it.  If I install 4.2 "on top of" 4.1, would that be a problem?  Should I delete 4.1 first?  And if I do, would that cause problems with the smooth transfer, or the programs I have installed?

Do "profiles" (silent, vibrate, normal, etc.) also transfer via the wizard?  What about the notifications?

Thanks again for the idea.

Forums Advisor II
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

To be safe, uninstall Desktop Manager 4.1 before installing 4.2. Yes, profiles and any changes made to them will transfer over.