Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

OS 4.5 Killed my BlackBerry World Edition

My BlackBerry Desktop popped up an alert that I should update my software to OS 4.5.  It backed up the existing set-up properly (thank heavens!!), downloaded the new software, and installed to the phone.  From that momemt on, the phone could not be connected to the computer.  The phone displayed the white screen of death with "app error 523 - reset".  The reset would not work.  Over two hours on the phone with Alltel tech guys, using all the workaround solutions they could think of, no fix could be found.

They said that since the phone could not be connected via the USB cable anymore, and since the phone could not boot beyond the white screen, that a fix was impossible; the phone was useless and unrepairable.

Lesson learned: never upgrade the software on a phone that already works just fine the way it is.

I had to buy a new phone at my cost.  I bought another BlackBerry - the new flip 8230.  I have had two BlackBerry's - both of which were very reliable and easy to use.  I just regret that I killed the World Edition by doing an unnecessary software update.  For whatever it is worth, I was able to use the "restore" function in BlackBerry desktop to load all my backed up data onto the new 8230.  That was a true relief.

Developer

Re: OS 4.5 Killed my BlackBerry World Edition

check this article:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-lecture-12-how-reload-operating-system-nuked-blackberry

----------------
if your issue solved set "Solution" mark at the relevant post
New Contributor

This article is right on the issue.  Apparently the Alltel tech guys had read this, because this is the same process they took me through several times over two hours. Maybe I wasn't quick enough on the battery-pull and reinstall sequence, but we could not get this fix to work. Maybe others will have better luck - and if you're stuck with a nuked BlackBerry it's sure worth the effort - but I could not get my system to recover.

My advice, again, for whatever it is worth, is to not do a software update on a BlackBerry that is working perfectly well.  Besides maybe wiping out your BlackBerry, it may also wipe out a day of your time trying to fix the dead one, driving to the cellular store, buying a new one, and getting the new one set up.

Contributor
My Device: 9630/9650
My Carrier: Verizon

I've updated several 8830 WE and haven't had an issue.  I even ran Sprint's 4.5 OS on my VZW 8830 until VZW released their OS 4.5.  So it is possible to update an 8830 to 4.5 OS.  Personally, I don't like to say "Ok" to software updates when prompted.  I'd rather open the application loader and select the OS and the various features I want to update.