Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: 8700c
My Carrier: Telmex
Accepted Solution

PIN on a 8700c? Can't get to first base with my new but ancient Blackberry.

I have a pay-as-you-go account from Telmex (in Mexico) which I use very infrequently. However, on the rare instances that I have to reply to a text message, I find using a numeric pad really tedious. I had read that Blackberries have a physically usable keyboard, even for people with larger hands, so I found on ebay a Cingular Electron 8700c for $30. My problem is that when I put in my Telmex SIM, it requested my password. I tried a few times, all failing. It is now up to an ominous attempt labelled 4/6. I bought the phone from a serious ebay vender with a rare 100% positive feedback, and he claimed it was unlocked from Cingular, and that is most likely true. When I first got my SIM from Telmex and put it in my Nokia 6126, which is also an unlocked Cingular phone, it did not request a password, and functioned from the get-go.  So I have the following questions:

1) If I fail to get the right password on the sixth attempt, will the Blackberry explode and level my apartment?

2) Is this password located on my Telmex SIM chip or on the wired telephone memory?

3) Any recommendations how to solve this problem?

For anyone kind enough to help, please remember that I am a total Blackberry **bleep** and reply accordingly.  I did however download the pdf manual for this model.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2252; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: PIN on a 8700c? Can't get to first base with my new but ancient Blackberry.

What happens if you boot up the phone without the sim card in it?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, John.  Well, it does the hourglass thing for quite a while; it then gets a Cingular splash screen and then goes into a security test which it appears to pass, and then I get a stable screen with the time at the top while reading "Blackberry wireless handheld" in the center, with Cingular in the top, left hand corner.  As mentioned, my Nokia 6126 is also an unlocked Cingular, and I still get all the Cingular logos on it, but it doesn't interfere in any way with me running a Telmex SIM.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2252; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

So you can navigate the device without the sim card installed? I'm just trying to determine if the sim card itself is what's locked or if it's the BlackBerry that's locked. Sounds like the sim card. There's no way for me to know what the sim pin is. You might check with your carrier.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

Hi John,

Seems not to be the SIM card.  With the SIM out, when I reinstall the battery I get what I described earlier, the hour glass, the security check, and then the stable screen.  At that point, if I press the long, horizantal lefthand button just below the display which has an apparent telephone handset icon on it,  it gives a screen saying the "Handheld is Locked" with a screen button to unlock.  When I hit return for the unlock, the display then says "Enter "blackberry" to continue.  And when I do that, I get the dreaded, "Enter Password (4/6)."

Can you make sense of this?  It is obvious then that the required password is not in the (uninstalled) SIM chip but resides somewhere on a wired memory chip.   Does it mean that the device was not unlocked from Cingular despite the vendor's assurances?

Guru II

Ok, good. That's an easy one. Just type blackberry and continue. After you've entered the password wrong the last time the device will wipe itself of any personal data it may contain and you can start over with a fresh device.
Contributor

Thanks John

Guru II

Did it work?
Contributor

Yes, it worked fine.  It erased and I installed a new password.  Think I better read the manual before I go any further :-)  All I want from the phone is to telephone and text so it shouldn't be too much of a learning curve  for this old, retired dog.  Thanks again.  Much appreciated.

Guru II

You should be able to disable the password on the device if you want. If it doesn't allow you to disable the password and/or there is a small lock on it not allowing you to disable it then you likely have a device that was connected to a corporate server and has a leftover IT policy on it.