Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

Contributor
rogbear
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: Orange

Playbook will not sync Outlook contacts

I have just downloaded all the new Blackberry Desktop updates and it still won't synchronise my outlook contacts with the Playbook. I have made a similar post before but got no answer that worked, come on guys please tel;l me how to get my Outlook (2010) contacta copied to my Playbook. Thjis problem is so frustrating . When I purchase the curve you were sble to swiftlt solve the problem telling me to use Synchamatic software but they have not got a similar solution for the Playbook, I have over 400 contacts please assist, I've waited over 6 months for a working solution. SAhould I have purchased an ipad?

:smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Playbook will not sync Outlook contacts

Hello,

It's a pity you chose to open a new thread...any responses you may have gotten (if any) are now lost to this thread as most of the volunteers here are volunteering their equally precious time and don't have therefore the time to search for that prior thread...pity..

Nevertheless, see this:

• KB30052 How to get Contacts and Calendar data onto a BlackBerry PlayBook

While the subject line of the KB is actually a bit misleading, the content includes something quite applicable to your quest...it can't be done (at least not natively).

Rather, what the PB can do is synchronize (via WiFi) calendar and contacts against some email services that can contain the same (e.g., Yahoo, Gmail). So, if you can get Outlook to synchronize the data to the server, the PB can then also synchronize with the server. I have Gmail working now for proper 2-way synch of calendar and contacts with my PB. I have Outlook properly synchronizing (via the Google Sync add-on) calendar bi-directional with Outlook. Sadly, Outlook Contacts sync is not yet available for "Free" Google accounts...contact sync is only available for Google Apps subscribers (what I do is export my Contacts from Outlook to CSV, then import those to Google...yes, I must be careful about reconciliation).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
rogbear

Why is this such a complicated procedure? It's mindbogolling and disapointing to know that Blacknerry cannot dcevelop a simpler solution without using 3rd party systems, I will not upload my contacts to Yahoo or Hmail or any other hackable destination what I ask is that Blackberry do what other manufacturers can do  and create your own software to copy contacts across, it is inprofessional to put such a burden on customers who require a simple mouse click type operation to transfer data. or do they mnot have the necessary expertise to do it? I am severely disabled and any solution must be easy to follow and execute. Thanks.:smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

Ummm...OK? I guess? Did you have a point with your post there?

To start with, not being associated with RIM, I can't deal with "why?" questions at all...I have no insider information by which to truly know an answer. I have theories, but no way to have firm answers unless there is a public document (like the KB I linked for you) that can be referenced.

I also can't help you with your fears about "hackable" systems out there...IMHO, the only truly secure system is one with no network connect, no USB port, no KVM, no other means of communication outside of it's box...which, of course, makes for a pretty non-functional system!

From the tone of your messages, perhaps you misunderstand the purpose of this site? If, for instance, you think that by posting on this site, you are communicating with RIM in any "formal" sense, you are mistaken in that. This is a user-to-user community of volunteers who give of their precious free time to try and help out other kind souls to the best of their ability. It is not a user-to/from-RIM channel of any formal communication whatsoever.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
rogbear

Apologies, I thought that with being on the RIM site it was sponsored by them. I realise that as fellow users you are doing your best, but, it is a simple solution I require I have contacted Syncamatic again to find out if they can help me, I used their Outlook connecter to solve the problem with my Curve 9360 I did phone RIM in the UK and a lady tried to talk me through the gmail option but she lost me in the middle of the instructions. The manual shows that there should be a simple solution but the link that is described does not exist or it's a misprint.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Apology accepted.

rogbear wrote:
I thought that with being on the RIM site it was sponsored by them.

Sponsored, well yes, in a strict definition of the word...RIM pays to host the site itself, and pays Moderators to do Mod-level functions, plus pays a few internal RIM folks to watch over things (e.g., the Community Manager, Bodee902...all RIM-participants are clearly identified by their user name color). But participation by RIM folks should never be expected, as this is intended as a user-to-user community. All of that is spelled out in the Ts and Cs that everyone is presented with when they sign up here.

No worries...you now understand what this site is for (and, more importantly, not for).

rogbear wrote:
I did phone RIM in the UK and a lady tried to talk me through the gmail option but she lost me in the middle of the instructions. The manual shows that there should be a simple solution but the link that is described does not exist or it's a misprint.

I don't have any idea what the links are that you are referring to. But, to my understanding, there is no "Free" solution for 2-way contact synchronization between Outlook and Gmail...there are probably some paid apps out there, but nothing free that I've yet found (I'd like it too, if it exists!). What I did was export my contacts from Outlook to a CSV (that's an Outlook function) and then import those into GMail Contacts (that's a Gmail function). Once I activated, on my PlayBook, GMail contact synchronization, all of my contacts appear on my PB just fine.

The result is automatic synchronization, bi-directional, between my PB and GMail Contacts (and, incidentally, my Android...yup, I've got one of those too!). But, because of the Google limitations, it is totally manual between Outlook and Gmail (that CSV file export), which then mandates "human diligence" to be sure to only make changes to contacts in Outlook, and then push that CSV file out again every so often.

I wish there were an automatic method of synchronizing contacts between Outlook and Gmail, but Gmail only supports that (for contacts) for paid Google Apps users...not free Gmail users (like me!). I've been looking for a free 3rd party way to synchronize properly between Outlook and Gmail, but so far have not found anything.

Note that Gmail does support, for free, 2-way synchronization between Gmail Calendar and Outlook...that works perfectly, and my calendar is reflected properly in all places (Outlook, Gmail, PB, Android)...no matter which one I make a change on, it is properly synchronized to all the others. I wish they had the same for Contacts, but Google simply does not support it (for free) right now.

Hmmm...one other thought for your situation...what about the BB Bridge? Via Bridge, the PB can actually work directly with the Calendar, Contacts, and Email that are physically stored on your BB. Would that achieve what you need? Or is your situation such that you need your PB to reflect the data even when it is out of BlueTooth range of your BB?

• KB27823 How to setup and configure BlackBerry Bridge

Maybe that will result in what you need (albeit in a slightly different way)?

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
rogbear

I have BB and it is very good but the contacts cannot be permanently copied to the Playbook ,that I believe is the big failing of the software that RIM could introduce in an update, having to stay connected on the bridge to access contacts is not a good solution, using Bluetooth on the Xurve 9360 runs down the battery quite quickly.
Please use plain text.