Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 8700

[Q] 8700 - No Messaging / Data & Service Books ?

[ Edited ]

I bought an unlocked 8700 off eBay recently (the phone is ancient, I know). After little trouble, I connected to Tmobile's voice network, but no matter what I tried, I could not get DATA or MESSAGING to work. The phone only cost me $15, but if anyone has any information please let me know. I do not have any BES or other account info on the device.

Steps I've taken:

Called T-mobile

Data Services were: ON

Messaging Service Center:12063130004

TCP: wap.voicestream.com

Username for APN: <blank>

Password for APN: <blank>

Host Routing Table: sent several times

Rep attempted to send Service Books to me but was not able to connect. I had 4 bars. He instructed me to turn the phone off, take everything out for a few second and restart it. He called me back on the same device and tried it again, no luck.

Redirected to Blackberry Customer Support

Called Blackberry Customer Support

Rep told me that the phone still showed up as connected to AT&T and that it needed to be deactivated. Here are the steps he gave me:

1. AT&T DEACTIVATE SERVICE

2. re-PROVISION for consumer service, set up activation - TMOBILE

Called AT&T

Representative told me that there was no link whatsoever between them and my device. The phone was deactivated when it was unlocked (that wouldn't make too much sense?) and that I should take up my concerns with Tmobile.

By now its a matter of pride and principle. All the reps were polite and helpful (minus AT&T) in their way but it looks like I'm a hamster running in a wheel getting redirected to the same places I've been before. Any suggestions?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: [Q] 8700 - No Messaging / Data &colon;:: Service Books ?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Only one suggestion...persistence. One rep may have a different level of ability and desire than another. Perhaps even a conference call between all parties could help...after all, if RIM says it's still assigned to the ATT network, then indeed TM cannot assign it, but ATT may need "help" from RIM to understand that it indeed remains assigned to them.

Persistence...what you are needing to get done is challenging even if the device were not still attached to ATT. Using a device on a network that did not provide the device can be challenging. Impossible if the device remains attached to a prior network. Further, quite often, they (e.g., ATT) will actually only accept the release request from the actual account holder...which, if I understand, you are not (as far as ATT is concerned). But, you never know...you might get lucky if you remain persistent.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: 8700

Thank you for your suggestion. I will definitely try it. How do you suggest I go about asking AT&T for what I am trying to do? The first rep that I talked to seemed very confused, and didn't even know what service books were.

I said something along the lines of:

"Blackberry customer support referred me to you to dis-attach my phone from your network. My phone is still tied in to your service preventing T-mobile from being able to send their service books to the phone."

In retrospect I believe she took that as: "I need a phone unlock."

And suggestions on what terminology I should use? It's not much help that I don't understand this whole concept quite well yet either.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

zisforzorro wrote:

Thank you for your suggestion. I will definitely try it. How do you suggest I go about asking AT&T for what I am trying to do? The first rep that I talked to seemed very confused, and didn't even know what service books were.

Definitely find a different rep...when you first call in, ask to be transferred to their BB-specific support folks...they have such, but your persistence may be required to get past whoever the front line responder is. Often, carriers have multiple support numbers to call...you may have to research to find out, but you definitely don't want to be talking to anyone who does not know what Service Books are.

zisforzorro wrote:

I said something along the lines of:

"Blackberry customer support referred me to you to dis-attach my phone from your network. My phone is still tied in to your service preventing T-mobile from being able to send their service books to the phone."

In retrospect I believe she took that as: "I need a phone unlock."

And suggestions on what terminology I should use? It's not much help that I don't understand this whole concept quite well yet either.

"RIM says that my BB PIN remains configured inside of your BIS system, and hence TM cannot create a BIS account for me in their BIS system."

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code