Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

New Contributor
thond1st
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300
My Carrier: Globe
Accepted Solution

Retrive BB Protect backup from cloud

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying manual backup yesterday through the Blackberry Protect website. I successfully backed-up the first time and did some changes on my BB Curve 9300. Freed up some spaces by deleting messages and other data. I also want to back up this state or to this specific point so I did the backup again through the Protect website. To my surprise (And I am not aware) the new backup overwritten my previous backup where in I need the important messages that I deleted expecting that the backup will just create another backup set rather than overwriting the previous one.

My question is. Is there any chance I can retrieve that backup?

After some googling and reading posts. I've known that the backup is being saved in the cloud which lost the chance of retrieving the backup data through recovery tools that I can use.  I was thinking that if I can retrieve/recover files that are deleted and even from formatted disks the technical staff of BB Protect or RIM could do the same and help me with my problem.

Hope my message reaches the Cloud administrator for RIM or BB Protect.

Thanks in Advance.

Anthony

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Retrive BB Protect backup from cloud

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Firstly...this site is not a channel for any formal communications with, support from, nor escalation to RIM. This site is a user-to-user community of volunteers who try their best to help each other out, but we have no access to any "back end" systems by which to act on your request. If you truly require formal support from RIM, you must start with your contractually required support channel, which always starts with your mobile service provider, who can escalate cases into RIM at no charge to the end user if such is appropriate.

There is something called incident support, but it costs to just ask the initial question, since you are bypassing the contract you signed upon purchase. If you wish to investigate that, you can review it here:

OK...with that out of the way, refer:

• KB25063 How to use BlackBerry Protect to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone

According to that, there actually should be different dates of backups you can use from BB Protect. If they are not, though, showing up for one reason or another, then they are not available to you via any automated means...and you'd need formal support (above) from a human at RIM to see if it can be retrieved.

All of that said, I do hope you are not depending solely on BB Protect for your backup needs. BB Protect only backs up (I think) 8 databases, which is a tiny subset of the entire contents of all of your priceless data. FYI, here is the process I always recommend:

Daily -- configure BB Protect to backup all that it can, preferring WiFi if carrier data network consumption is a concern.

Weekly:

If you are not up to BBM7, then manually back up your BBM contacts to your Device or Media Card memory

• KB20554 How to back up and restore the BlackBerry Messenger contact list

Via Mass Storage Mode, copy the entire contents of your Device and Media Card memory to your computer

• KB11879 What is mass storage mode

Via the Desktop Software, conduct a full backup of your BB

• KB12487 How to back up BlackBerry smartphone data using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows
  • KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list

There is an old saying:

• There are two kinds of computing device users -- those who have lost data, and those who will

Like insurance, backups are neither a reactive nor an optional activity. And this process, IMHO, provides the best protection of all of the priceless data one keeps on their BB. When you compare what BB Protect actually backs up versus what this process protects, I believe you will find that the difference is quite large. Further, this process would give you 100% control over retaining prior backups.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
thond1st
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300
My Carrier: Globe

Hi kind sir,
Thank you for the welcome and the details you mentioned about how the forum works and how to get to Rim. Thanks also for sharing how you do your back-up and data maintenance. I will be doing those from now on.
I also contacted Rim support and yes you are right that there is a limit on the number of backups you could have. Mine stays only at 6 backups and just overwrites the last. I also want to share to everyone that support can't retrieve overwritten backups.

Thank you very much again.
Please use plain text.
Visitor
Franken602000
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Hi all,

I have a similar problem that's been giving me grief.

I successfully backed up my bb messenger chat, and I can view it via my bb desktop as an ms excel file. 

Problem: How can I restore this file to my bb phone as a chat message?

I've sent the file to the phone but it shows up as a csv file which will not open. I REALLY need to forward as a chat message to someone.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Please use plain text.