Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

sdpav
My Device: Not Specified

SMS: Transfer from 8830 to 8830 TECHNICAL SUPPORT NEEDED!

Hi there. I am a fairly technically ept person. My current 8830 has quit charging. It contains thousands of stored SMS texts of important events, conversations, legal things, etc.

I need to know how to transfer all the original SMS text from one to the other 8830. I tried one download but gave me some error message when I unplugged the "uploaded" temporary messages. I didn't have the 2nd 8830 to immediately plug in.

1. I won't have the new 8830 from Verizon when I have the old 8830, meaning I won't be able to upload one then plug in the other immediately.
  2. I know there is software, but don't know which program to use?

Need some help from anyone who has done this or who knows how or who works for Blackberry/ RIM.

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: SMS: Transfer from 8830 to 8830 TECHNICAL SUPPORT NEEDED!

Have you tried using the Backup and Restore feature in Desktop Manager?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Please use plain text.
sdpav
My Device: Not Specified

Interesting.

No, actually - I have not. Was not sure that would do what I needed.... Does that work for stored SMS on the blackberry without the SMS card? Or further more, would this work with two different S/N devices? Just want to be sure before I try and all my messages are lost.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

[ Edited ]

Yes. That performs a complete backup of all the contents of a device. You can check it out by going into Backup and Restore | Advanced. This will show you all the contents that will be backed up. SMS Messages is a part of that list.

So you can go into Backup and Restore and hit the Backup button - this saves as an IPD file on your computer. When you get the new device go back into Backup and Restore | Advanced. On the left hand side you should see the contents of the backed up IPD file (If the left hand side is empty just go into File | Open and browse to where the IPD file is to open it). Then just select the SMS Messages and hit the arrow pointing to the right to move them onto the right hand side, which is the other BlackBerry.

Alternatively if you want to restore everything, not just the SMS Messages, you can just go into Backup and Restore and hit the Restore button

Message Edited by jmrmb80 on 09-05-2008 12:57 AM
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Please use plain text.