Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Setting email filters

Hi all.  A little help here would be appreciated.  Unfortunately, at my office my email address is in a group that receives automated alerts from a telecomm system.  I have nothing to do with these, but there is no way to segregate my email address out of receiving them, at least not for now.  In my outlook I have a filter to move them to the junk folder.  I understand that the Blackberry needs a separate filter because of the way the servers talk.  Here is the issue.  The automated alerts are sent "on behalf of" a real person, meaning in the To line it comes up as a real person that I receive important (non alerts) from.  So I cannot filter on that.  The Subject always begins with "ABC Alert - " and then end of the subject is different each time.  In Outlook I have the filter setup as Subject contains, but there is no option on the blackberry.  Is there a wild card I can use?

Thoughts?
FYI, this is a 8830.

TIA

Mike

Super Contributor
My Device: BB 8530/ 5.0.0.734 OS
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Setting email filters

Try this:

Go to your messages folder > options > email filters > new filter > fill everything out and make sure the action says "do not forward > save.

Let me know if that works for you.

~Tami~
Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them.
-- Albert Einstein
New Contributor

Tami,

thanks for replying, but this will not work since the filter needs to be somewhat generic in what it looks at.  As I mentioned, the subject (which is what I need to filter on), always begins with the same words, but the end is always different, so it will not match on the entire subject filter.

Mike

Super Contributor

Have you at least tried it? I just tested it out on my Corp. BB and it worked for me. I put "test" in the subject field and then sent an email containing "test 123" in the subject field and it did not come into my BB.
~Tami~
-- Albert Einstein
New Contributor

I'll give it a try.  thanks

Mike

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

Hi mikenf and welcome to the forums!

Blackberry doest require any special filters because of the server.

In you case you are going to need two filters to create a logic gate.

A BIS procedure for filters within company concerns

you can also go to your carriers website and set the filters there.

Here is the procedure for reference.

Bifocals

Please remember to resolve your thread.

Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer! Thanks 

SETTING CORPORATE FILTERS

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB04467&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

BIS WEB SITE PROCEDURE

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8067/645045/788117/1166305/1...

Message Edited by Bifocals on 11-27-2008 03:25 AM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Super Contributor

Bifocals, if his device is corporate liable (his company pays the bill) he will not be able to set up an account online. Our clients are restricted with the carrier.
~Tami~
-- Albert Einstein
New Contributor
My Device: 8830 World Edition

When I try to go to Messages->Options->Email Filters, I do not have Email Filters as one of my options to select.  I have an 8830 WE. 

Any suggestions?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

nmynarcik wrote:

When I try to go to Messages->Options->Email Filters, I do not have Email Filters as one of my options to select.  I have an 8830 WE. 

Any suggestions?

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

That's because that's not the correct place to create filters...if you are on BIS, see this KB:

• KB04558 Add a filter to a BlackBerry Internet Service account

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: 8830 World Edition

So after trolling these forums and some others, I created an account with the Verizon Wireless BIS and found all the setting in there.  Created filters and even adjusted my signatures the way I wanted.

Thanks a bunch everyone for the info!