Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

My Device: Bold 2
My Carrier: Celcom

Stolen phone - Tracking using Blackberry Protect

My phone was stolen, and I tried tracking my phone location using Blackberry Protect, but it was not successful. Maybe because the device was not powered on (I tried calling my number but it went to voicemail), or maybe because the thief has removed my SIM card.

My question, can I still track the phone using Blackberry Protect when somebody else has inserted a different SIM card? When a different SIM card is inserted, can the new user retrieve all the data in my device?

I wanted to lock my device, but I just thought if do so, I am not able to locate the device anymore.

Appreciate advice.

Thanks.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Stolen phone - Tracking using Blackberry Protect

Hello afrazsaid and welcome to the BlackBerry® Support Community Forums.

Sorry to hear your device has been stolen. It would be advised you contact your mobile network provider to inform them of the theft.

As for your question about BlackBerry® Protect™ app, if the device is powered off or the SIM has been changed, the location cannot be tracked.

If you didn't have a password enabled on your device then your data would be accessible. 

Hope this answers your question.

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

My Device: Curve 9320
My Carrier: Safaricom

Dear Balckberry;

No fool will steal a Blackberry and keep the same sim card in it. Typically, 9.9 times out of 10, a thief would remove the sim card and put another.

After which, they will reset the phone to factory condition by shorting the circutry. 

This would make the blackberry as good as new with no security for the thief to insert a SIM card of choice.

Then I ask myself, doesnt Blackberry know this already?

And if they do, why cant they develop the BB protect for the user to set only approved phone numbers to be used on the device, therefore allowing for tracebility? 

This would only make sense to the team which developed the Blackberry protect App, since it was developed to protect the righful users. But its not, instead, anyone with the phone can easily get access and enjoy the services of the phone.

What a shame!

A pissed of BB user whose lost 7 BB phones and counting.

Highlighted
Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Your device can still be tracked by the Law Enforcing Agencies if you can provide them the IMEI no. In some country mobile operators helps in tracking or blocking the IMEI.

You can the feature of app BuddyGuard which helps in tracking the whereabouts of a device. The application is available in the App World.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

My Device: 9790
My Carrier: vodacom

I cannot seem to find my 9790 n its got blackberry protect, how ever I cannot locate it cos the phone hasn't got a sim card in it, is there anyway I can trace it or retrieve my bbm contact cos that's what didn't back up for some reason.
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

As has been already mentioned, without your SIM card in the phone, it's untraceable with BlackBerry Protect. The only way you'll be able to track it on your own is if you installed another third-party tracking software on it. Vodacom has the technology to track it but very few carriers will actually take the time and effort to do so.

As for your data, without Protect being available, the only way you can recuperate your data is with a backup done with BlackBerry Desktop Software or another third-party app which has a backup already done by you. If no such backup(s) exist, you cannot recover your data.

Cheers.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.