Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Trackball not working properly

I purchased my 8800 1 year, 2 months ago - conveniently passed the 1 year warranty.  My trackball works in every direction except for left which seems very strange.  It is impossible to call RIM without them charging me something to talk with them and Cingular/AT&T says that there is nothing they can do as the phone is no longer under warranty.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Trackball not working properly

The same thing happened to my trackball a few hours ago. Is this happening to others?

My trackball is now working just fine.

The same thing happened to me. My trackball moved up, left, and right... but not down. Big problem! So I googled "blackberry trackball" and found this link the most helpful:

http://www.blackberryinsight.com/2007/06/13/how-to-clean-your-blackberrys-trackball/

I took mine apart as specified in the instructions and cleaned the "wheels"-- and it works just fine now. Hopefully this helps.

Contributor

Great tip!  I was concerned with this happening but my phone is still new.  I agree that RIM won't lift a finger for you without a credit card on file.

I removed the trackball, cleaned it (there was an amazing amount of dirt in there) and it is now working properly.  Thanks for the tip!

New Contributor

Thanks for the link to the site. I was amazed at how dirty it was too.

Thank you for this information.  This worked perfectly!  Its a little tricky to get all the parts back together.

I recommend taking clear notes as to the orientation of the small rollers before you take it apart.  If you reinstall and the ball is responding 90deg out of direction you need to flip the encoders to the other direction.  Also pay attention to the tiny little knubs on the bottom of the bottom white support piece because those need to line up in the holes in the curcuit board below.

Again...thanks!

HI,

Another option is to try a soft reboot of your BB.

While the BB is powered on, remove the battery, give it 10 to 20 secs and put back the battery, This should get the track ball to work.

This should make the track ball work 9 out of 10 times, if it does not work - try the option of cleaning the trackball or else call the RIM customer support!

Anuj

New Contributor
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: TMobile

[ Edited ]

Try this:

unique-stuff.co.cc/fixing_sticky_blackberry_trackball.html

There are some tricks to fix a sticky unscrollable blackberry trackball without disassembling. I try the rotating straw technique and it works for me!! I have my trackball working again now.. GREAT !

EDIT: Removed Link