Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

New Contributor
wykdgrl
My Device: Bold 9800
My Carrier: Bell

Transferring pictures to the PlayBook

Since the PlayBook only has a micro USB port ... does anyone know if using a USB 2.0 to micro usb adapter would work for putting pictures on the PlayBook?  I need to know before I make my purchasing decision.  I want to use the PlayBook as a substitue for my computer when traveling, but if it's not capable I'm not sure I'll want to buy one.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,923
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Transferring pictures to the PlayBook

Putting pictures from your BlackBerry or PC on the Playbook?

Yes, that is one use of the MicroUSB port on the Playbook.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
wykdgrl

Thank you but I'm afraid you misunderstood.  I want to connect my memory card reader, however it is a USB 2.0.  So I need to know if an adapter (USB 2.0 to micro usb) will work.  I need to know if the hardware would be compatible with the PlayBook.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Yep, someone certainly misunderstood. Your first post makes no mention a memory card reader.:smileywink:

Since "USB 2.0" is really the definition of the bandwidth, or speed, one or both of us could very likely still be misunderstood.

So, I'll try:

You want to connect your USB cable from the PlayBook > MicroUSB port > MicroUSB plug > CABLE > to what?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
wykdgrl

Haha! Okay, sorry. Let me try this again .........

I don't want to have to take my computer AND the PlayBook on vacation.  Therefore, I'd like to be able to put my pictures on to the PlayBook directly.  My card reader has a USB 2.0 connection but that obvously won't fit in the PlayBook's micro usb port.

I had found an adapter that I thought could solve the problem.  You plug your card reader  (USB 2.0) into it and the adapter (micro USB) into the PlayBook.  Clear as mud?!

I've heard that the PlayBook won't support that ... and so the question for me then is WHY would I buy it if I have to bring my laptop along too?!

Please use plain text.
JSanders

OK, yea, lol, like mud.

So, you're pictures will be ON the Memory card... and you want to transfer those images from the memory card to the Playbook? I don't know if the memory card will transfer to the Playbook, but you can always, if it is MicroSDHC media card, put the card in your BlackBerry, connect and transfer your pictures that way.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

wykdgrl wrote:
My card reader has a USB 2.0 connection but that obvously won't fit in the PlayBook's micro usb port.

I had found an adapter that I thought could solve the problem.  You plug your card reader  (USB 2.0) into it and the adapter (micro USB) into the PlayBook.  Clear as mud?!

This will not be possible at least until there is "host mode" support, often referred to as USB OTG ("On The Go").

This functionality will NOT be available at launch, so if that's your sole criterion for deciding, then don't buy for now.

RIM has never officially promised this functionality either, though they've made numerous references to it, and most now believe it will be available some time this year, possibly during the summer.

You will also, of course, require a physical adapter to mate things up properly, but the OTG support is going to require a software update to provide the right drivers and other features to handle this properly.

Initially, the USB port will be solely for "slave mode" connections where you attach the PlayBook to your computer just as you would a flash drive, as a "mass storage" device, for transferring files.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Peter, in my scenario above, with a BlackBerry device tethered to the Playbook via the USB, would images on the BlackBerry's microSD media card be transferable to the Playbook?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I'm not aware of the availability of any USB tethering ability yet, as that would (I think) require host mode support.

If you mean Bluetooth tethering, then I have read that the media card on a BlackBerry will be accessible to the PlayBook when bridged using the Bridge mode.  (I'm not someone who knows enough about BlackBerry tech to confirm that though... I've never used a BB phone.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
drewdebrabandere
My Device: 9670 & playbook
My Carrier: bell

i'm also trying to use the playbook as a travel comp, so the big issue is getting photo and video from a digital camera onto the playbook for editing and uploading. So far i'm disappointed. I've tried putting the card into my bb style and bridging the files over, but the playbook can't find any video, pics, or music. Even pictures i take with the phone are not identified. Maybe a micro usb to micro sd card reader will work, but who knows. From what i've read the hardware is good but the software is seriously lagging.

Please use plain text.