Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

New Contributor
wykdgrl
My Device: Bold 9800
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Transferring pictures to the PlayBook

From the research I've done, the PlayBook won't support any device which technically adds capacity to the hard drive.  Therefore, you can't connect a card reader because you're effectively increasing the storage space on the PlayBook.  I had found an adapter (usb 2.0 to micro usb) but was told it will not work.  I even went to Staples to check.  I've since ordered a certain other tablet because you can get a camera connection kit which allows you to connect your sd card directly and view/edit pictures right on it, without requiring it to be tethered to a computer.  =)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
drewdebrabandere
My Device: 9670 & playbook
My Carrier: bell

hopefully rim gets their act in gear while they still have a following...

Please use plain text.
BillOwen
My Device: non blackberry user
My Carrier: wind mobile

I was going to buy a Playbook until I found out you cannot transfer files from a card. I want to use the PB for checking pics on photoshoots, and just for fun. This kills the PB for me. I can't believe the idiocy. If PB had added a card reader this would have really differentiated them from Apple. Right now all I can say is that it's smaller and theoretically more powerful, that's it.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kaulds
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: sprint

I also find this a big negative for me, I was so excited to go and buy one today. I am not going to fall into the XOOM and HP trap and buy something on a maybe.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
clockwars
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Fido

Anyone have an update on this?

Does the new OS2 support external media card readers?

Come on BB!

The Playbook would make an excellent companion to a dSLR camera!

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Nothing new to report.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Rob649
My Device: Blackberry 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Even with OS 2.0 you can forget using a Playbook to store photos or videos from external devices without the use of a computer.  The bridge only works with emails and documents, not photos or videos.  As far as I know the micro SD slot only works with a USB port connected to a computer running the BB media software.  It is possible to transfer files from the computer to the PB (although it's more of a hassle than it should be and often the computer will not recognize the PB as a separate drive).  But since the transfer must be made on the computer (not on the PB), nothing would show up if you managed to connect a flash drive or SD card to the micro SD port.  I found this very disappointing and hope that RIM fixes the software before they go bankrupt.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,901
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Rob649 wrote:

Even with OS 2.0 you can forget using a Playbook to store photos or videos from external devices without the use of a computer. 

Well, that's actually wrong. Aside from the USB cable transfer, you can use a wireless WiFi transfer, and you can also use a number of sites like DropBox, Drop, SugarSync to transfer file wirelessly and withOUT the use of a connected PC.

Using the app Files and Folders, some of those like DropBox are already integrated. Works great.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
durhamwasp
My Device: None
My Carrier: Tesco

Just checking as i understand this correctly (as wykdgrl's needs are similar to mine)

If i wanted to move photos from my digital camera to the Playbook, i could firstly move them from my Digital Camera to my Laptop, and then use a cable to connect my Playbook to the Laptop and move some photos from the laptop across to the playbook?
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,901
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

durhamwasp wrote:
Just checking as i understand this correctly (as wykdgrl's needs are similar to mine)

If i wanted to move photos from my digital camera to the Playbook, i could firstly move them from my Digital Camera to my Laptop, and then use a cable to connect my Playbook to the Laptop and move some photos from the laptop across to the playbook?

Yes, or via WiFi transfer from the PC to the Playbook

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.