Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

sdc
New Contributor
sdc
My Device: Not Specified

USB/Power Port broken

The USB/Power port on my 8830 is broken.  Can I download my contact info to a MicroSD card?  How would I do this?  Any other thoughts?  I don't have ithe phone backed up, but will get a replacement from Verizon. Thanks
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: USB/Power Port broken

No, moving contacts to a microSD card is not possible.  The only way to get the info from the device would be via bluetooth to make a backup to Desktop Manager.  In order for Desktop Manager to connect using bluetooth, you need to have the basic Windows drivers installed and not any 3rd party drivers like Widcomm or Toshiba, etc.  When it works, it's quite simple.  When it doesn't, it can get complicated. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
sdc
New Contributor
sdc
My Device: Not Specified

John,

Thanks.

I was able to charge the BB through an interesting trick I picked up from from a Blackberry Forum at:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/167781-broken-usb-charging-port-but-i...  .   I would not recommend it for all but the most technically/electrically proficient, but it worked and now my BB is fully charged. I also understand that there is a Blackberry Power Station that does not use the USB port and could be an answer for someone that is not able to replace their BB easily. 

I also found that I could use Google Sync to upload my contacts to my Gmail account.  I'll be able to re-Sync them to my new BB when it arrives.

Thanks again for your help and I'll try your suggestion, as well.  Reality is the USB port should not be the only way to both charge the BB and upload/download information easily.

Please use plain text.
kschneck
My Device: World Edition 8830

I had the same problem. The USB port on my 8830 broke and I could not power it up, nor download the contacts from my phone. And unfortunately I never backed them up onto my computer. I was smart to shut my phone off and preserve some battery power until I figured out how to get my contacts off the phone. First I fiddled around with the bluetooth idea I had read about. That was difficult because I didn't have the right software on my computer nor a "dongle". Then I spotted the perfect solution - Google Sync. I downloaded the program onto my BB and then synced my contact list with my GMail account and voila. Problem solved. Took all of 10 minutes of battery time.

Please use plain text.
Elleehhh
My Device: 8520 curve
My Carrier: Elliesweet

I have a blackberry 8520 I have had it for a year and two months I have never really had any major problems with it but today I took it off charge and realised that the little charger port had came out, I have attempted at putting it back in however it just falls out and this is causing to it not being able to charge is this fixable and how I was thinking super glueing it back on but in not sure if it would work please help its urgent!!!!
Please use plain text.