Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

New Contributor
bvinci1
My Device: Not Specified

Verizon's 8830 GPS debacle

[ Edited ]

Is there any word on a fix for the GPS? I will be overseas and could appreciate the use of the hardware I paid for.

Thanks 

Message Edited by bvinci1 on 05-02-2008 09:40 AM
New Contributor
VoltaicShock

Re: Verizon's 8830 GPS debacle

I don't think it can be unlocked - :\

New Contributor
bvinci1

I have contacted Verizon and filed a complaint with the BBB. Nothing yet just promises to pass on the information to someone else who may be the decision maker in the future. Or they solicit advice for future improvements, as if giving my opinion should ease the pain.

They said that the GPS and Blackberry maps didnt meet their security requirements to which I fired back that no lost in Buenos Aires and needs to know how to get from point A to B cares about your security requirements nor is that an impassable reason. A simple disclaimer of security while enabling the GPS, pop up, would be clarity enough. 

New Contributor
cwestall

if you use google's mapping software on the blackberry... they find you by triangulation and it's pretty accurate.

also... w/ Verizon, they disabled it so they could sell their GPS software.  you could buy that (9.99 / mo, I think). 

Developer
stevengraff
My Device: 8330 - Verizon

Adding insult to injury... even if you pay Verizon their $10/month... you still can't use the GPS, except with their VZNavigator program! They claim it's for security, right? Hmmm... AT&T and Sprint don't seem to have that issue. Is Verizon claiming that it's not smart enough to figure out how to secure its network as well as AT&T and Sprint?

Unfortunately, there's not much leverage against Verizon. It's not a consumer friendly policy, but why should we think they care about consumers? Just go with another carrier. If enough people care, and switch, maybe Verizon will change its policy, but I doubt there's enough critical mass out there that fits that category.

Contributor
johnnyutah

Complaint or not it won't matter - the Qualcomm GPS chipset wouldn't work with European GPS satellites anyway.
New Contributor
ksat

Does anyone know if AllTel currently allows open access to the GPS on their BB units??  If so, will Verizon lock those down as well or will they do an about face and open things up?? 

This merger should be interesting... 

miked1960

Here is the law President Regan signed into law that all GPS will be free for all to use. How/ why is verizon making people pay for a service when everyone in the USA pays for it with federal taxes? How is it that verizons gps works through there system when we have over 24 sattilites that do the job already?
Hope verizon can answer these questions honestly. Enjoy the reading
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pubs/gps/white.htm

Contributor
johnnyutah

The goverment provides access to the data free of charge - it doesn't say it is free to use. 
New Contributor
ptiptondodge

Dear Blackberry,

Verizon is blaming this on you.

To answer your question, we do not provide support for the Blackberry Map application. If the application does not work, and we are unable to resolve the issue, the issue is referred to Blackberry. Please note that while you can access maps with Blackberry Maps, the navigational feature of the application will not work due to the GPS limitation of the device that has already been explained to you.

They state it doesn't meet their security policies. Doesn't this sound like an FTC issue?  Verizon is monopolizing VZNavigator, similiar to Microsoft's use of Internet Explorer in the past.