Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Voicemail Waiting Indicator + Notice in SMS/MMS box = too many notices

Dear Community,

I have seen this post listed in other places but there is never a satisfactory solution.  I am a crackberry adict and truly love the features, benefits, and style the BlackBerry--so much so I hesitate to bring up something I find that may tarnish its image in my mind.  All Blackberries with all carriers seem to provide 2 notifications when a voicemail is received.  One is the normal message waiting indicator found on most phones today and the other is a notice which is placed either in your general Message box or SMS box (depending on whether or not you have these seperated).  I'm writing in hopes that if somehow the community has found a way to eliminate the SMS portion (without eliminating SMS altogether or eliminating everyone but my addressbook--see firewall settings).  If there is not a proper solution, I'm hopeful this will find its way into the next iteration of BlackBerry software.

Solutions: 6,171
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Voicemail Waiting Indicator + Notice in SMS/MMS box = too many notices

The SMS notification from your carrier, is a function and service of your carrier.

So, it's not a BlackBerry device or Operating System option, and likely won't be. 

You can lobby your carrier to turn those off, I have read of users doing so.

>> Click here to get a 10% Off Discount on any BlackBerry from ShopBlackBerry

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

As a technician at a major carrier, I can assure you that there is no sms that is actually sent through the network or by the network.  This is the case with some other carriers, but not with ours and many others.  This is a function of the blackberry itself.
Solutions: 6,171
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]
The message may not be a pure SMS message, but it is some form of SMS or signal from the carrier to notify of the voicemail waiting. So, it may not be an actual SMS, but it does come from the carrier.

The BlackBerry device itself does not create these messages. So, your the technician, what kind of signal or communication is it that carrier sends to notify of a voicemail waiting? I've been curious about this same question for sometime  Smiley Happy You're not the first to ask.

Whatever it is, the BlackBerry interprets it as an SMS and it's close enough that it takes on the SMS message profile notification.

Message Edited by JSanders on 07-21-2009 10:30 PM
>> Click here to get a 10% Off Discount on any BlackBerry from ShopBlackBerry

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8300

HI, jsquire and msanders,

Working at a Major carrier in Australia I can tell you that it IS a Carrier settnig.

From the internal website that is a "Sales Pitch" of the  Mobile Messagebank standard:

Notification of messages waiting - every time a caller leaves a message with MessageBank a notification indicator appear on the mobile.  Notification messages include:

• a short text message on the handset display
  • a distinctive beep
  • an envelope symbol appear on the handset display or
  • a combination of these notification devices

Note how it doesnt advise that this is a Blackberry only advice - it applies to all Mobile handsets.

Smiley Happy

Checked out my Blackberry FAQ's and Links to Needed Articles here
http://darkeen.homelinux.com/index.php/Blackberryfaq