Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

Developer
KermEd
My Device: NA
My Carrier: NA
Accepted Solution

Warning: Do not secure wipe your Dev Alpha with BB10 Early Release

Just a quick warning,

I had to switch BBID's on my Dev Alpha running the newest BB10 alpha release.  The instructions inside BB10 advise you to do a security wipe.  DO NOT do this.

In early Dev Alpha lifespan, you could enter a problem when you did a secure wipe.  This caused your device to be unusable, and you had to manually install some drivers and force a debrick.  This trick WILL NOT work on the BB10 alpha release. 

With the BB10 Alpha, doing a secure wipe removes all your applications and access to these applications.  It also removes the settings and options screens.  It removes access to everything other than the browser.  Attempting to launch the option screens in any method results in a failure as the options application cannot be found.  It also stops sending USB signals, meaning that Device Manager / App Loader cannot detect a USB device at all.

The Custom App Loader from RIM will reject any USB connection with an unrecognizable PIN (your PIN will not be transmitted when it is blocked like this).  This prevents it from being used to rewipe your Dev Alpha.  Additionally, Blackberry Desktop Manager (which will recognize it as a dead BB device) will attempt to reinstall the OS while your Dev Alpha is turned off.  However, as we all know, the BDM cannot actually upgrade the OS.  Which means it will not work.

I haven't checked with Dingle Berry to see if I can manually downgrade the OS to an earlier release, but this is most likely the only way to rescue your Dev Alpha with BB10 and a secure wipe initiated.  Will post any updates here as needed.  I'd just chuck this in a box and ignore it, but my 64GB PB also died this week (battery failure). I dont want to send it to "RIM" for repair, because they will just swap it out with a new one from stock and I want to keep the data on the hard-drive.  Because of the way the battery works with the motherboard, doing a backup is not simple with a truly dead battery.

Cheers,

Ed.

Please use plain text.
Developer
KermEd
My Device: NA
My Carrier: NA

Re: Warning: Do not secure wipe your Dev Alpha with BB10 Early Release

Please use plain text.