Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

New Contributor
tapuma
My Device: Not Specified

lower case edge / data connection refused on BB 8800

Hello, I need help to activate the data service. 

I have a new unlocked T-Mobile BBerry 8800 bought from eBay. 

When I inserted a sim card took from my Pearl 8100 it says data connection refused.

I upgraded the OS and now the version 4.2.1.101 platform 2.3.0.80 is installed.

The message "data connection refused" disappeared and replaced by the provider's name. But the problem remains exist. Indicator on the top right screen displays "edge" not "EDGE". (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02623&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=141640847&stateId=0%200%2066797886)

I took the sim card out and put it into Pearl 8100. Sim card works well, emails and net browser are just perfect. I reinserted it back into BB 8800, but nothing changed, "edge" signal appears, my web icon disapearead. The handheld is functioning no more than a mobilephone.

The technical support staff had help me through this process. They gave up and concluded something wrong with the handheld.

Can anyone please help? 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor II
d_fisher
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

Re: lower case edge / data connection refused on BB 8800

Do you have a BlackBerry data plan on your cellular account?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tapuma

Yes, the BIS. The sim card works well on other handheld (8100).
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor II
d_fisher
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

Sounds like you got an unlocked BlackBerry that is not really unlocked.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tapuma

I just checked its status again. All items under personalization (sim, network, network subset, service provider and corporate) says "disabled". According to MEPD then it is unlocked. Is there other way to check the handheld is really unlocked? 

I would appreciate any assistance - thank you.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
OzBBerry42
My Device: 8300

Hi,

If you have relaoded the Latest OS onto the handset and it still occurs then it sounds like you have a broken handset that needs to go away for repairs.

If it was an ebay then sounds like you've lost your money.... But you could try the carrier and see what they say 9but dont be too hopeful).

Checked out my Blackberry FAQ's and Links to Needed Articles here
http://darkeen.homelinux.com/index.php/Blackberryfaq
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
marcdw

I would really like to know if you solved this problem as i have exactly the same problem.

New 8310 bought from Ebay and only get lower case  data letter's in my case it gprs instead of GPRS.

have uploaded new software the sim works in my old 8300 etc what did you do?

Please use plain text.
fnap

Hi,

I recently pruchased a BB 8800 (also from eBay) and am having the same problem with it displaying only "edge". I can only use it for voice and sms at this point. My BES email is not functioning. I've also confirmed via MPED that it's unlocked.

ID: ....
Personalization:
SIM              Disabled
Network        Disabled
Network Subset    Disabled
Service Provider    Disabled
Corporate             Disabled

I'm on my last straw and and will likely be sending my phone back to the eBay seller, who's offered to take it back. I'd prefer to keep it so, I'm hoping that someone else has run into this and has a resolution.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
bbhelper09

I am not sure what provider u are with and I assume u must have a data pakage so u are able to access these services-what it means is that it isn't connecting with RIM and u must go thru RIM to acess these services is the simplest way I can put it LOL---any way to fix ( make sure u have at least 3 bars of signal strength) go to OPTIONS- ADVANCED OPTIONS-HOST ROUTING TABLE THEN HIT THE BUTTON TO THE LEFT OF THE TRACKBALL(menu button) click register now) this regisers u with RIM u will receive a message in your messages box----if this does't work take your battery off for a min and put it back on it refeshes anything new that was done on the network----hope this helps :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.