Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

New Contributor
Dszerlag
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

synching issues

I'd like to start by apologizing as I know this has been discussed ad nauseum on this board, however I am new to BB and getting very little help from my part time IT guy.  Reviewing the material here just gets me more confused so I thought I would just submit them straight up.

Her eis my situation.  My office gets EM through MS Exchange Server, my contacts and calendar are on there as well.  We do not have a BB Exchange Server although I have that option on my phone service (Sprint).  When activating my phone I set up gmail and also put in my office em address and password.  I have access to both EM accounts, however my calendar and contacts have not linked.  Is there some way to set up the phone so I can sync these features (wireless)without synching to my laptop?  I don't think the IT guy wants to add BB Exchange to our present server.  Small office, and I am the only one with a BB, everyone else has iPhones/Palms which do sync.

Again  sorry as I am sure this has been discussed many times.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: synching issues

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

No worries about the nauseum! We love questions that we can help with!!

To help you with what you have -- what you have is BIS service...BlackBerry Internet Service, a service, hosted by your carrier, that provides a conduit between internet facing email systems and your BB. These internet facing systems can be GMail, Yahoo, POP, IMAP -- as well as corporate OWA (Outlook Web Access). It sounds to me that this is your config -- you have GMail plus your corporate OWA emails coming to your BB via BIS.

BES is Blackberry Enterprise Solution (or server, service, etc.). Basically a server, hosted inside of your firm, that acts as the bridge between the corporate messaging system (e.g., Exchange, Notes, etc.) and the corporate BBs. From what you describe, you do not have BES.

BIS provides only email delivery...nothing else OTA (over the air). BES provides OTA calendar, contacts, and other things. But, since you don't have BES, you are limited to email only, and must use USB tethered sync in order to synchronize your calendar and contacts:

• KB17022 How to configure synchronization settings for BlackBerry Desktop Manager

Hope that helps! Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Dszerlag
My Device: Not Specified

That is the answer, thanks so much  For BES does that require a stand alone server?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are most welcome!

Re: your question, I'm not a BES admin, so I'm not sure...I think it might be the recommended configuration...you can find a lot of information here:

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
pathaksanjay2003
My Device: Bold 9900

Hi

We are using BES account . On OWA we had created sub folders , same way its got synchronized with Blackberry, but subfolders are not synchrinizing properly . all messages are getting stored in inbox where as on owa rules are working correctly and mesaages are  moving in correct subfolder.

sanjay

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

pathaksanjay2003 wrote:

Hi

We are using BES account . On OWA we had created sub folders , same way its got synchronized with Blackberry, but subfolders are not synchrinizing properly . all messages are getting stored in inbox where as on owa rules are working correctly and mesaages are  moving in correct subfolder.

sanjay

Hello,

You need to work with your BES admin to ensure that all things are properly configured...they (the BES admins) control everything. If they need additional assistance, that should be requested in our BES-specific forums:

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates