Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Other BlackBerry® Smartphones

Sneakrz
My Device: Not Specified

wifi and connection sharing

[ Edited ]

I travel extensivly and because phone calls are very expensive in several of the contries I spend some time in, I would like to use internet connection sharing on my laptop to make WiFi calls with my blackberry in my hotel room.

I am typically on a wireless internet connection with my laptop that requires passwords/user names or other keys for internet access. Every hotel is different and I would not typically have access to any of their settings. But once I am logged on with my laptop, is there a way to share this connection with my BB so that I can make wifi calls?

How about when I have a wired connection?

I can connect to my laptop via bluetooth if that helps the solution. 

Thanks in advance.

Message Edited by Sneakrz on 07-24-2008 12:28 PM
New Contributor
d-woo

Re: wifi and connection sharing

[ Edited ]

Hi Sneakrz,

I'm in the same boat.  Travel quite often.  Yes, there is a way to have your laptop, if connected to the Internet via ethernet, to broadcast as a wireless point.  From there the WiFi-enabled Blackberry and/or other PCs can pick up that signal. 

Here is the link: http://reviews.cnet.com/Make_your_laptop_a_hot_spot/4660-10165_7-6754630.html

I, however, have an HP laptop and have not found a way to have my wireless and ethernet working in tandem.  Apparently, there is a switch that in default mode, goes to one or the other, but not both.  Obviously you will need to have both...the ethernet connection and then the wireless would be used to broadcast rather than receive.

Please let us know if you get it to work.

Message Edited by d-woo on 10-07-2008 04:35 PM
funnycool

Thanks for sharing that point.

But I can not connect to my Laptop with my Blackberry 8820 through wifi.

I did:

- Set up the Ad Hoc network from my Laptop.

- Connect from Blackberry with wifi by Automatically and Manually.

My Blackberry show the message " No support for network found"

Maybe the Blackberry does not support for Ad Hoc Network, doesn't it ?? ? ? ? 

Thanks.

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi funny cool,

Blackberry does not accept ad hoc networks:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB14738&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

If you need more info please ask!  If not please resolve the thread using the options by the Kudos’ star, Just place the check in the Post that answered your question, Thanks  
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter