Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Payment Service

nfu
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

Do I have to use BB Payment Service or can I use an outside payment provider?

We currently have credit card payments set up on our website but we would like to offer users the ability to upgrade in-app. Am I forced to use BB Payment Service for the in-app purchase, or can we show the users a credit card form to be processed through our existing integrations? 

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Do I have to use BB Payment Service or can I use an outside payment provider?

While you are not restricted to using the BlackBerry Payment Service there have been reports that using this in-app payment service will greatly increase your revenue potential (users seem less likely to enter CC details to make a purchase vs using the built-in payment service which saves payment details).

As well you may lose revenue from carrier billing and PayPal users if not integrated in your app.

But in short, yes you can use an outside service.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
nfu
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Do I have to use BB Payment Service or can I use an outside payment provider?

Thanks Garrett.

If the user has our app installed on many clients, the paid features must be available on all of them as long as the subscription is active, even if the user doesn't use the BB app that month. 

Therefor I need a way for my server to track the status of the subscription, without being reliant on the client. Is there a way to do this with the current Subscriptions implementation for BB Payment Service? (It seemed from other forum posts that there is no server-side receipt verification method, and I could not find any documentation about server-side receipt verification nor server-side asynchronous callback.)

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

There's currently no server side APIs so implementing support across platforms will be a bit more complex until these become available without using an outside payment method.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Developer
My Device: NA
My Carrier: NA

[ Edited ]

There are some really wonky and problematic bugs with in-app purchases as well.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Adobe-AIR-Development/in-app-purchase-error-code-30242/td-p/1...

This makes it very difficult as in-app purchases have a significant impact on supportability.  Personally, I still haven't been able to get an in-app purchase to work on my BlackBerry or my wifes for any games or applications.  We gave up on that a long time ago.

Additionally, you lose 33% of all sales to RIM (I've calculated my totals from BB Commerce, and they are actually taking between 33 and 35 instead of the 30 claimed).  And finally, there are some huge discrepencies between BBCommerce and what customers actually purchase (my last check, they have been underpaying me by about 80% on average).

If you implement your own server-side solution, you have full control + retain that 33% loss and you don't have to deal with not being payed.  I'd avoid RIM for in-app purchases at this time if it was my decision.  Especially since I've had emails to BB Commerce go unanswerd for over a month (still haven't received a single response from them) without any escalation options.

But thats just my two cents.

Ed.