Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Payment Service

Developer
jaiaca
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

Download or Unlock code? Beginner question

Hi everyone,

This is somewhat of a beginner's silly question about in-app purchases so bare with me please :smileyhappy:

Basically...

Do you download content when you make a purchase or do you just unlock code? If you download content does RIM host it similar to the bar file of the app? Or do I need to have my own servers host downloadable content? (or perhaps a 3rd party like scoreloop)

So for example, if I'm making a game with 50 levels and the basic version has only 30. Do I code up and release all 50 in one bar file but wrap access to 20 of those levels within some type of if statement where I check the payment receipts?

OR do you release the game with 30 levels and then once the user makes the payment they download the extra 20 on their phone? 

I'm currently looking into doing in-app payments so this is why I'm asking. Originally I thought you downloaded the content ( like xbox DLCs ) but the sample code / documentation don't mention anything about downloading content.

Thanks in advance

Jason

Jason I. Carter
Follow me @jasonicarter
Built For BlackBerry - WordsPlus & WordsPlus: Free Edition | word search has never had it so good
www.twocasualcoders.com | never casual on quality
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Download or Unlock code? Beginner question

It is 100% up to you. If the files are large then it may make sense to build them into the app so the user does not have to wait to download them. 

Any downloads would need to be hosted by you, the App World servers only host apps.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
jaiaca
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Download or Unlock code? Beginner question

Thanks for the answer/reply Garett
Jason I. Carter
Follow me @jasonicarter
Built For BlackBerry - WordsPlus & WordsPlus: Free Edition | word search has never had it so good
www.twocasualcoders.com | never casual on quality
Please use plain text.