Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Payment Service

Developer
d3v3l0p3r
My Device: Q5, Q10, Z10, Z30, PlayBook
My Carrier: Carrier
Accepted Solution

Switching from Paid to Free with in-app purchases

I have existing PlayBook app which is using a Paid model.

For number of reasons I am planning to switch to a Freemium model with in-app purchases (where users buy premium app functions as they need them). The switch would happen once PlayBook OS is upgraded to BB10 and my BB10 version can support PlayBook users.

I have few thousand active users on the Paid version. 

I am not able to maintain mutiple versions of the app (i.e. continue updating PlayBook version as different SKU on top of the free version).

What I will do is publish a new app (new app ID) using Free model first and target it for BB10 phone devices only. The PlayBook version will remain as existing paid app. 

Once PlayBook gets OS10 support I will modify my Freemium (new) app to support tablets and at that point discontinue the PlayBook only (old) paid app.

Is it possible for RIM to switch all users who have purchased the paid version to a specific Virtual Good SKU in the Freemium version so that they can re-download and continue receving updates for the new version without need to re-purchase the app again?

I am worried the existing customers will riot as soon as they find out future updates will require them to re-purchase the app.

THis is quite urgent for me so I would appreciate someone from RIM to provide some advice. Thank you!

---
If you find my post helpful please "like" it and "accept as a solution"
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Switching from Paid to Free with in-app purchases

App purchases cannot be switched to digital goods purchases. So your best options would be to either maintain the paid version of the app (could be as trivial as setting a value to state that the upgrade digital good has been purchased) or provide your existing users a means to unlock the freemium version without paying (add a feature that provides a unique unlock code for example).

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
madmaskd
My Device: Blackberry Z10 LE, Q10 And PlayBook
My Carrier: Vodafone

i have around 5 apps which i have posted free and want to make them paid is it possible to do with out submiting new bundle ? 

Hit Like if you find my post Use Full Thank You...
Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

You would need to open a ticket with BlackBerry World support to request the change.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
madmaskd

I have open a ticket a month ago but there is no replay.. what I'm planning to do is remove from sales those 5 products and submit as new products.. hope that ll make my problem solve... what do you suggest me gbeukeboom
Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

My suggestion would be to keep the 5 free products and instead switch them to the freemium model. Sell in app digital goods to unlock premium features, this will keep your existing user base, allow you to make money without relying on your BlackBerry World support tickets, and continue to receive new users that want to try your app initially for free which should drive adoption.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
madmaskd

Hi but when I try to edit the app it has license type free and I don't have options to make it freemium? How to make it.. please provide us extra details or step to follow thanks
Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

You wouldnt change the license to "freemium" you would keep it as free but sell digital goods within the app to monetize. 

As this thread is already marked as solved please start a new thread with your question and the language used to write your app, we can pick it up from there.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
madmaskd

Okay gbeukeboom I'll start new thread and mention all about details again till this point. Html5 3and android ported apps 2
Please use plain text.