Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Payment Service

Developer
lildeimos
My Device: DA C, Z10 LE
My Carrier: Wind
Accepted Solution

in app purchase a full app. Beginner question

Hi,

I read, mostly, the payment service docs but I'm still confused about how to get what I want.

I have already a paid app published in App World and I would like to make a limited free version.

So my main question is why not use a link to the paid app inside the free, instead of using the payment service SDK ?

Maybe I should think about it before releasing the paid app. In this case, I might add a digital good to the free app and unlock the locked features ?

Now I have my app already published and another free app to be submitted. What to do if I want to use payment service ? Should I submit the myFreeApp to Vendor Portal and add to it a digital good pointing to the SKU of the paid version ?

Sorry if sound silly, are just few days I am into all this stuff.

thanks for your time

Marco

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: in app purchase a full app. Beginner question

Hi Marco,

How you choose to sell your apps/goods is entirely up to you but in general directing from a free to paid version will not provide an ideal user experience for a few reasons:

1) All user data would get lost when moving to the new app (generally unless stored in the shared area or the cloud)

2) It removes the user from your application which decreases the chances they will go through with the update

3) It creates duplicate icons on the device (free and paid apps) which can be confusing

I'd suggest either going with a solid paid app and/or going with the freemium model.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
lildeimos
My Device: DA C, Z10 LE
My Carrier: Wind

Thank you Garett,

I have the problem that the paid app is already been puschased. I read an early post where you talk about give key code to people that buyed the app, but maybe could be a problem for me and for customers.
About 1) I dont have relevant user data, so no problems
About 3) I can inform the user that the free app can be safely uninstalled
About 2) ... I din't undestand it :smileyhappy:

I was thinking that my app uses a settings file and create it when it starts the first time. I can check this settings file and if it doesn't exist at first run, the app behaviour will be for the free version. The problem, I think, could be if an old user which purchased the app, uninstall it and want to reinstall it later.

Well, I think I messed up think by not thinking about this before.

thanks again
Marco
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Hi Marco,

You could always maintain 2 versions of the app. Switching from free to paid requires you to open a ticket with the BlackBerry World folks, it cannot be done in the vendor portal.

Depending on the app it may make sense to maintain a paid and freemium version. 

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.