Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Scoreloop

Developer
djogon
My Device: Z10
Accepted Solution

How to test Scoreloop with different users?

How do we test Scoreloop with different user accounts?

As I understand it - Scoreloop automatically creates a player name when it first starts. There is no gui that will ask user to provide a name account etc.

This is fine, but how does a user switch the account to another one?

For example - user gets a new device and wants to use the same account on it - how does one switch to it.

Once logged in - can a user switch to a different user? this is also useful for testing.

Please use plain text.
Developer
BGmot
My Device: PlayBook

Re: How to test Scoreloop with different users?

You cannot have two accounts on one device.

One account can have (be bound to) multiple devices.

For testing you must use different devices if you want to see different accounts. There is nothing like 'sandbox' to play with while testing at Scoreloop but they told me they are working on this.

Please use plain text.
Developer
djogon

I really do not want to have multiple simultaneous users. I simply want to switch from one user to another.

What if I give my device to someone - are they stuck with my Scoreloop ID? 

I understand that scoreloop does have the ability to bind one account to multipe devices. How do I unbind an account from the device?

This is really basic functionality. Even the GameCenter in iOS has ability for to log in and log out as any user that has a username and password.

Please use plain text.
Developer
BGmot

To me ScoreLoop's approach makes more sense than username/passwords.

You might wish to read this http://developer.blackberry.com/native/documentation/scoreloop/coresocial-users.html

Please use plain text.
Developer
djogon

Why does this make sense

Multiple users cannot use the same device to connect to Scoreloop.

In particular - what happens if I give/sell my device to someone else? Is that person going to play with my Scoreloop ID?

To me ScoreLoop's approach makes more sense than username/passwords.

Could you explain why? 

Please use plain text.
Developer
BGmot

Hey... it is just my personal opinion. I have a right to have opinion -))) Feel free to disagree -)

>In particular - what happens if I give/sell my device to someone else? Is that person going to play with my Scoreloop ID?

You can easily transfer your account to different device.

If you temprorily give your device to somebody then yes, he/she will be playing with your id.

I don't know but for some reason I think of PlayBook/BB10device as a personal device, you don't share it with others. And it just make sense to bound your account to device(s) id(s), you don't need to authenticate yourself in every game you play.

Please use plain text.
Developer
djogon

Absolutely :smileyhappy: This is just a discussion with two slightly different points of view. I do not disagree with you in all respects. I think that its a good idea to make it as seamless as possible for the user to get identified. Having to type your user id and password every time is annoying.

I am simply stating that it is unusual and most likely bad design decision to not have the ability for the user to switch to a different account. Every device I own which is not the latest model of the same device has been handed down to someone in my household or coworker. It is unrealistic to expect that the same user will use the device for the lifetime of the device.

Anyway ... a good sandbox environment where developers could play with usernames and accounts would be most welcome so that we can see how things will perform. Right now - we have to release games without any real testing of scoreloop's performance and features across multiple users.

Thank you for your comments. I was expecting more people chiming in on this actually since it affects every game developer who wants to use Scoreloop.

Please use plain text.
Developer
BGmot

You can always ask other people to help you test your app and their scores will appear in Scoreloop (you are able to delete any score at any time). This is how I tested SL in my game. I am personally open for testing on PB and DA -)

Agree with you though on SandBox side, but it is coming -)

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
whoang
My Device: Blackberry 10 - Dev Alpha B | Blackberry Playbook | Blackberry Torch 9810

[ Edited ]

Hello @djogon,

Building and confirming on what @BGmot mentioned, your question on "how does a user switch the account to another one?":   Your BBID is what Scoreloop uses to attach your device's UUID with. If you get hold of a secondary BlackBerry device and link your BBID with it, then that will unbind your original UUID device link from Scoreloop. Otherwise, for secruity reasons beyond Scoreloop the suggestion is to wipe your device as that unbinds Scoreloop and BBID from your device.

William Hoang

Application Developer Advocate | Developer Relations
BlackBerry

Please use plain text.
Developer
djogon

@whoang,

thank you for the reply. I fully understand what is going on. I also understand that I can wipe my device clean or get a second device for testing.

What I am surprised about is the lack of support for multiple users in a sandboxed (development) environment.

It is very hard to test things when one does not have the ability to create/use accounts at will / wipe the scores/achievements and basically play in the sand using multiple user accounts.

There is no valid argument that can justify the lack of this kind of support in sandboxed mode. I understand it for the deployed mode and end users, but we should be able to do this while developing. Without it - the only real test will be available AFTER the app gets released which is really not what one wants.

Please use plain text.