Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Scoreloop

Contributor
staticgerbil
My Device: Playbook

Scoreloop leaderboard with unicode characters

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm currently having an issue trying to get leaderboard data from scoreloop if the leaderboard has a player with non-ascii characters in their name.

I get results back from the server on a BB10 device, but on the Playbook I get the error code 'SC_INVALID_SERVER_RESPONSE' passed into my scores controller callback.

I am using SC_ScoresController_LoadRange on the Playbook (SC_ScoresController_LoadScores on the BB10) to retrieve the scores which as I mentioned, works fine until there is a player with a non-ascii name in the leaderboard table.

I have also tried SC_ScoresController_LoadRangeAtRank just to see if it made any kind of difference, same result.

To verify it is a non-ascii character causing the issue I have had two devices running, both could see one particular leaderboard fine, then I changed the scoreloop display name on one device to something with a non-ascii character in it and straight away neither device could view that leaderboard anymore.

If I delete that entry, I can see the leaderboard again.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Edit:

Just a little more information I've found.  I have a few other scoreloop enabled games on my device and it appears that the ones that handle scoreloop interfaces themselves also have issues with me having accented characters in my display name, same kinds of issues, leaderboards, even just logging in to the profile.

There are two games though, that appear to use some kind of pre-made scoreloop interface (the game seems to open up a different view when you go into scoreloop settings) much like the old Open Feint interface.  These two games appear to work ok with non-ascii characters but I assume they are using some other SDK to get that interface.

Developer
BGmot
My Device: PlayBook

Re: Scoreloop leaderboard with unicode characters

It will not help you but I personally do not allow nonASCII input in my game.

Retired
whoang
My Device: Blackberry 10 - Dev Alpha B | Blackberry Playbook | Blackberry Torch 9810

Hello @staticgerbil

Investigating this issue - Which two games and on which device/OS did you see a custom Scoreloop interface?

How did you confirm that the two games work ok with non-ascii characters? (I presume there were non-ascii characters in the the game's leaderboard?) and on which devices/OS?

Please update us on your progress
William Hoang

Application Developer Advocate | Developer Relations
BlackBerry

Contributor
staticgerbil
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies.

@BGmot:

I don't think that dis-allowing non-ascii characters would help me as I think a user can play our game, upload a score, then log into another game to change thier scoreloop display name which is then used by our leaderboards.

I haven't tested exactly that, but I'm fairly sure I've fixed one of my leaderboards by logging into another game and removing the non-ascii characters from my name so I assume the reverse should also work.  I would have to go and double check that though.

@whoang:

'Deep Space Frontier' and 'Egyptian Pyramids' both use the Open Feint style Scoreloop interface I mentioned.

They both are able to let me log in and display my name without issues.

I didn't try posting a score on their leaderboards as I didn't want to cause them trouble unless I really have to.

'Run In Crowd' has it's own Scoreloop interface to match the game menus (and does so very well) and if I have non-ascii characters in my name it fails to authenticate me.  Again, I haven't specifically tried leaderboard stuff but I felt that the authentication faliure was proof enough that they are having similar issues to me and I didn't want to cause extra trouble.

On a BB10 device we are testing with, non-ascii characters don't seem to give us any trouble.

On the Playbook, using 2.1.0.1088 OS, I get authentication faliures if the user of the device has non-ascii characters in their display name. 

If the users name only has ascii characters, they can log in perfectly but any leaderboards that have a score by someone with non-ascii characters in their name will return an error, *if* the search returns scores with the non-ascii name in it.

So if I try to get all of the scores from a leaderboard that is potentially broken, I get an error.

But if I only get the 24 hour scores and all of the scores in the last 24 hours are only using ascii display names, then I get the scores returned correctly and everything is happy.

I haven't tested getting a specific range from a table that I know has all ascii characters.  That might be my next little test to give you more information.

Developer
BGmot

I can confirm the bug with Scoreloop API for PlayBook only.

Briefly: when you call SC_ScoresController_LoadRangeAtRank() and there is at least one user with unicode characters then in callback function we get SC_INVALID_SERVER_RESPONSE in completionStatus.

It does not happen in the same callback (we get SC_OK) when we call SC_ScoresController_LoadScoresAtRank() in BB10 SL API.

How do we file bugs for Scoreloop?

Retired
whoang
My Device: Blackberry 10 - Dev Alpha B | Blackberry Playbook | Blackberry Torch 9810

Hello @BGmot,

You may post/file bugs directly to Scoreloop's forum: http://support.scoreloop.com/discussions

There will be support staff members, including myself, on hand to look into the issues.

Moving forward, there will be better integration and cross referencing between RIM Developer Support and Scoreloop's Developer Support
William Hoang

BlackBerry

Developer
BGmot

Thanks William,

I've created a ticket.

Retired
whoang

Update: The issue is currently with the team to be looked at. When a fix is provided, your game code will need to be recompiled as Scoreloop is statically linked to PlayBook
William Hoang

BlackBerry

Developer
BGmot

That's great to hear -)

Interesting though in what way you'll be delivering new library...

Retired
whoang

Hello @staticgerbil,

Thanks you for the detailed reply! Our team is on the issue/games that you have mentioned.

Which game titles are you currently developing - is it in BlackBerry World? We can take a look at the non-ascii issue with the dev teams together.

Any updates on the testing/development on your end?
William Hoang

BlackBerry