Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Scoreloop

Developer
BGmot
My Device: PlayBook

Re: Scoreloop leaderboard with unicode characters

Hello William,

staticgerbil might be busy/in different time zone so I'll chime in here. Any game is affected. And as stated the issue is on PlayBook only. Take famous "Run In Crowd" or my "BG 15-puzzle" if you want to troubleshoot this with me.

Go to Games and add to your profile any Unicode character then get on leaderboard list, done! The app on BB10 will show you correctly but the same app on PlayBook will not show leaderboard at all.

Contributor
staticgerbil
My Device: Playbook

Hi William,

I've sent you some details about the game we are working on, it hasn't been announced so I can't talk about it just yet in the public forums.

I haven't had a chance to do any further testing as yet, I've been busy with another project but if there is anything specific you would like me try just let me know, I'll get onto it.

In case it helps, here is exactly how I can get a character into my name that breaks things on the Playbook...

To add the character I went into Egyptian Pyramids, clicked Scoreloop Profile, hit the spanner in the top right corner to get my account settings up, clicked change username, chose the keyboard language that is second from bottom (looks like it starts with an 'E' but isn't English), added  the symbol that looks like a backwards 3 with a tail at the bottom, hit ok.

If I do that then try to play BG-15 or Run In Crowd, I get Scoreloop authentication errors.

If I get a high score on either of those games first, then add the unicode character to my name, then login with another device (no unicode character in the name) I can see that I can authenticate with Scoreloop but the leaderboard is broken.

You can fix the leaderboards and authentication problems by going back into Egyptian Pyramids and removing the unicode character.

Developer
BGmot

Hi William, any news on that? Thanks.

Retired
whoang
My Device: Blackberry 10 - Dev Alpha B | Blackberry Playbook | Blackberry Torch 9810

Hello @BGmot,

The issue is currently being worked on by the Scoreloop dev teams and I will follow-up next week on an update.

Thanks for your patience and for supporting BlackBerry!
William Hoang

Application Developer Advocate | Developer Relations
BlackBerry

Retired
whoang
My Device: Blackberry 10 - Dev Alpha B | Blackberry Playbook | Blackberry Torch 9810

Hello @BGmot,

There will be a new build for Playbook with a fix for the issue coming.

May you investigate if the error still persists in the new release?
William Hoang

BlackBerry

Developer
BGmot

Sure will test when this new release is out. I take it I need rebuild my app (the app that does not show leaderboard currently)?

Contributor
staticgerbil
My Device: Playbook

Hi guys,

@William, thanks for keeping us up to date on the issue and getting on to a fix quickly.

@BGmot, thanks for the help investigating / proving the issue.

I will also get the latest build of the dev kit when it's available to test our product and let you know how we go.

Rok
Contributor
Rok
My Device: Developer

I know this thread is pretty old but was this issue ever solved? I seem to be having the same problem with getting a BB10 title working on Playbook. I'm getting a SC_INVALID_SERVER_RESPONSE response and, checking the leaderboards through the scoreloop developer site, the leaderboards that are causing problems are those that have names containing unicode characters.

Retired
whoang

Hello @Rok,

Were you able to get a successful server response when you call SC_ScoreController_SubmitScore() to submit a score?

Which method you using and getting the SC_INVALID_SERVER_RESPONSE ?

Also believe the issue with unicode handling should have been solved but i will again verify.   

Thanks,

William Hoang

BlackBerry

Rok
Contributor
Rok
My Device: Developer

Re: Scoreloop leaderboard with Unicode characters

Hi William,

I get a successful response after calling SC_ScoreController_SubmitScore.

I'm using the following calls to retrieve leaderboard information (obviously with error checking, etc omitted) -

SC_Client_CreateScoresController(client, &scoresController, _loadLeaderboardCompletionCallback, this)
SC_ScoresController_SetSearchList(scoresController, SC_SCORE_SEARCH_LIST_GLOBAL)
SC_ScoresController_SetMode(scoresController, gameMode)
SC_ScoresController_LoadRange(scoresController, 0, numScores)

The error parameter in the callback function gives a successful response for most leaderboards but not all.  Having looked at the contents of the leaderboards via the developer site it appears to be ones with names containing Unicode characters that are causing the SC_INVALID_SERVER_RESPONSE.

I'm having no problem with retrieving all leaderboards with BB10.  It's only with the slightly modified Playbook version that the problems are occurring.

Best regards,

Cliff Davies