Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Social Lounge

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Bouygues Telecom

Re: Ads or Paid App ?

Unfortunatly part time !

Twitter : @LaurentKP
My apps
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

@laurentC Thanks for a considered post, the problem with iOS or Android is that your app will just be swamped in amongst the millions of others it will need a good marketing campaign to make any serious money.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Device: DAB, DAC, Lost red Z10, Regular Replaced Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: airtel

That's true but it's the only drawback I find in these well established platforms !
There is very less scope for you to succeed as a individual developer in these markets.

Looking for SMTP Servers, Bulk Emails and Bulk SMS services at an affordable price to help boost your business? Look no further. I've the solution for your needs. Contact me now.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

I've also experimented with putting the price up recently and let's just say it hasn't gone well so I think I will try and do a short-time freebie next and see if there is any upswing after the marketing from that.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Hi,

I just got back releasing mobile games and at the moment I wonder what's the best way to monetize them.

Given the numbers shared about Ads these are obviously not an option - not worth to even think about it, let alone do the implementation.

So it comes down to either release a free and a paid version or a free version which can be unlocked using IAP.

At the moment I tend to the first, i.e. release a demo/limited version as free app and a paid full version because I honestly just fear that, whenever something with the payment goes wrong, I'll be responsible for the issues, users will write bad reviews which may shy away interested new users?

Anyone out there who has done both, i.e. free+paid as well as free+IAP versions who's willing to share some numbers and/or suggestions what may be more efficient?

That said - I'm on BBOS only at the moment but if it'll be possible to get some reasonable sales I'll be able to work on OS 10 as well.

Also - to those who do support both platforms already I'd be more than happy to learn about your experience. I.e. do you have better sales/downloads on BBOS or OS 10?

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900/9780/9810
My Carrier: Singtel

Hello

You can take a look at official statistics that BlackBerry shared. We shared them all over here:
http://ourberries.com/otips/developers/

Hope this helps Smiley Happy
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: no provider

I spoke to Appworld guy at one of the ocnferences and he strongly suggested Freemium model. I like to try things myself, and I came to the same conclusion. People want to try apps first before buying and more likely to buy it after they tried it. Ads don't work well on my experience. CTR is very very low.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Mobile ads are mostly annoying.  Very few companies have gotten them right.  The trend you hear from things like e.g. Google's quarterly conference calls is that mobile ad monetization is very difficult vs. desktop.  Advertisers want to only pay for attributable results, so they are just not that willing to pay up for mobile ad placement, even though mobile is where the audience is.  

New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Alpha

try the free-mium method.  Put some restrictions on the free version and allow them to make in-app purchases to remove them

Click the Like button if you find my post useful and as a way to let me know someone actually read it.