Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Social Lounge

Developer
Spacena
My Device: Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: airtel
Accepted Solution

Ads or Paid App ?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

This is very confusing but I would like to know which one to go with ads in the app or a paid app ? What is the CTR for the ads in BlackBerry ? What are the best selling apps' average monthly downloads in BlackBerry World so far ?

Just asking to have an overview. Thanks.

There are 2 types of IT companies in the world:

One that says "I have a website."
and another that says "I am a website !"
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Ads or Paid App ?

This thread probably tells you which is the way to go...

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Advertising-Service/Earnings/td-p/2557211

Take a look at other posts in that forum if those stats don't put you off.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Just my opinion, based on feedback from other developers, but I would go for a free app with in-app purchase to unlock majority of features at this point.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Developer
soaman
My Device: Z10

This approach I am going to test soon. I will post my findings.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Please use plain text.
Developer
soaman

Update: after one day of offering one in-app purchase capable app, I advice pay per download. But I will keep you updated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
Developer
Spacena

That's great. And thanks for the research.

Any idea how many active users are there and highest number of downloads for any app so far. As per news, I can say that there are some tens of millions of BlackBerry 10 user based on the number of devices purchased. Any thoughts on this ?

Please use plain text.
Developer
soaman

My estimation: 5M
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

my opinion

frugal people like free aps and quite a few dont want to get burned out of a buck or two just to try one

if you make an app with most features, people would be more tempted to get it and unlock/paid the rest if its worth it

or can make a free app with ads and a paid ap with no ads so end user gets a choice

maybe make it with ads and unlock/paid to remove them

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Developer
laurentC
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Bouygues Telecom

Hi,

Currently I have free apps and paid apps for both BBOS and BB10. Free apps are lite versions of paid apps.

When I started the development of BB apps on BBOS in 2010, I decided to charge for any of my apps 2.99$.

More and more, with the competition of other apps growing, I started to low my apps prices to 0.99$ (in 2012).

Now, things have changed, BBOS users are down and down and BB10 users are not as many as I would have expected. It means sales are low. I'm speaking for myself, but I'm making the same money as in 2010, when I was making 5 or 6 times more when my apps were selling well (2011-2012).

I think people want free apps, but some people will pay for apps even if they can't test it with a free version. Some paid apps without free version makes money on BBOS or BB10.

A few weeks ago, I tried to remove the free versions of my apps and put the price to 2,99$ during a month. I sold less apps, but made almost as much money... Now I've reposted my free apps and put the price to 1,99$. Let's see how it works this month...

But, what's annoying with the BB10 platform is the number of download of free apps. Again I speak for myself but the average is 30-40 a day. Even on BBOS my free apps are downloaded around 60 times a day (more than 100 last year).

That's said, I'm not sure you can make money with ads. Maybe the best model is in app purchase but remember many people will never pay a dollar for an app or an app purchase.

I would be happy to hear other devs about this subject, how theyperform with free/paid apps on the BlackBerry platform and on other platforms too. Many times, I'm tempted to try ios or Android but is it worthy ? Someone with a paid app on ios/android/blackberry/windows phone would like tell us wich one is the most profitable ?

Laurent

Twitter : @LaurentKP
My apps
Please use plain text.
Developer
Spacena

Are you able to make living out of what you're earning from the apps or is it just your part time ?

Please use plain text.