Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Social Lounge

midnightoil
My Device: Q10

Dual boot (Ubuntu Touch & Sailfish)

[ Edited ]

It seems to me that it would be in the interests of RIM, Jolla (Sailfish) and Canonical (Ubuntu) to allow for the portability of their Operating Systems between the 3 sets of hardware. 

All are Qt and QML reliant, 'NIX derivatives and gesture based.  iOS and Android are of course completely different, both in terms of development environment, UI and underpinnings, and they're also heavily entrenched with massive market share. 

I would assume that Jolla and Canonical will, or will encourage hardware makers using their operating systems to leave things open to multiple boots and roots.  Whilst I don't expect BB10 to be made portable any time soon, I really hope RIM allow some degree of openess with their forthcoming devices (I understand it's not possible with existing ones?).  Certainly I can imagine the great looking Passport being a bigger success if both consumers and developers weren't stuck with one boot option.

Thoughts?

New Developer
alex347
My Device: PlayBook

Re: Dual boot (Ubuntu Touch & Sailfish)

I would love to see Ubuntu running on Z10 or Z30, but since those devices are not so popular as others I don't think Ubuntu community is going to put much effort into porting Ubuntu.

"As of May 2014, there is still no known official Linux support from BlackBerry. ... If you are using a BlackBerry and would like it to work in Ubuntu, let BlackBerry know"  - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/Blackberry

Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Re: Dual boot (Ubuntu Touch & Sailfish)

There are probably security issues w/multi boot that BlackBerry is not willing to expose themselves to.