Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Social Lounge

Developer
My Device: DAB, DAC, Lost red Z10, Regular Replaced Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: airtel

No more BB phones ??

In the latest news from the ceo John Chen, BlackBerry might stop making phones in near future If the devices sale continue to be as low as something <10M annually.

So what does this mean to the developers ?

Looking for SMTP Servers, Bulk Emails and Bulk SMS services at an affordable price to help boost your business? Look no further. I've the solution for your needs. Contact me now.
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: No more BB phones ??

I would have thought that would be fairly obvious wouldn't it. Smiley Happy

The choice would be to stay and support a static user base, something I've done before with various devices (i.e. Acorn, Psion, Symbian) and eventually see your revenue dwindle to nothing and your programming relevance become increasingly out of date.

Or Smiley Happy,

Move to another platform.

Hopefully it won't come to that, I'm sure BlackBerry will see some way to keep the phone side of the business.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Solutions: 6,170
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I love bloggers that can't get a quote right, and actually intentionally don't use an entire quote.

What CEO Chen actually said to Bloomberg was this “I don’t have a plan to get rid of handsets, I have a plan to not be dependent on handsets,” Chen said yesterday in an interview at Bloomberg’s headquarters in New York. “All I need to do is replace the handset revenue, and this company will be very different.”

In different setting, he said to Reuters, ""If I cannot make money on handsets, I will not be in the handset business," John Chen said in an interview, adding that the time frame for such a decision was short. He would not be more specific, but said it should be possible to make money off shipments of as few as 10 million a year."

What does that mean to developers... nothing. Selling off the hardware division doesn't mean the OS software development and use on handsets would halt.,.. therefore application developers have no worries from the statement.

As of now...

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer
My Device: DAB, DAC, Lost red Z10, Regular Replaced Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: airtel

I said in context with the enthusiasm of millions of loyal BB users that will be affected who think BlackBerry as just a premium phone brand and not a company that provides BES server or QNX solutions, etc, etc.

So when people say BlackBerry they mean phone and when phone is not BlackBerry then eventually there will be no BlackBerry from the regular mobile users' perspective.

I wish eventually BlackBerry could sell some 15M-20M units annually and "BlackBerry-the phone company" that we know today stays much powerful, much bigger in times to come..

Looking for SMTP Servers, Bulk Emails and Bulk SMS services at an affordable price to help boost your business? Look no further. I've the solution for your needs. Contact me now.
Highlighted
Solutions: 6,170
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

And, in case you didn't see the follow-up yesterday:

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Alpha

Blackberry devices are still popular in many parts of the world.  e.g. SE Asia

They just announced Passport and the blackberry classic.

Click the Like button if you find my post useful and as a way to let me know someone actually read it.
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: none

I think the focus of BlackBerry will shift more and more to business consumers and away from private/fun users. Thus, high grade utility apps would be the way to go.