Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Social Lounge

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE,Dev Alpha C

why there are more and more android apps?

I just can't believe it.

android apps are too bad, I won't use any of them at all.

plus,

there're some android-portathon like activities here which send out z10 devices to android developers.

fine.

I still don't think android apps would help blackberry to get the market back, too slow in responsive, not fitting Q5/Q10 size screen and the battery drop.

BFB is future, let android apps get out of BlackBerry World, or at least MARK them with android icon.

/*
WebWorks Developer
*/
Guru I
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: why there are more and more android apps?

Since all the big app companies and developers have chosen not to develop for BlackBerry it is a big stumbling block for those looking at switching.

As a consumer, I think it's awesome! I have all the apps that everyone else does and I don't have to live in the stone age just because I choose to use a BlackBerry. I LOVE my Z10 now and I'm pushing as many people as possible to install apps like Snap so that they can have the benefits to.

Would I rather have a BFB app? Of course! Would I rather have an Android port, or even an Android app installed directly from the Play Store than nothing? Absolutely.

Convince your anti-BlackBerry developer friends to develop for BlackBerry.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Developer
My Device: Bold 9930 and PlayBook

I've found that the Android ports from well established developers have been very good. Kobo Reader and Waze are two examples.  I use them all the time and have found their UI and performance to be top notch.  Yes there are some bad ports, and hopefully the users that do download and install the apps are giving honest feedback. 

"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be forever a child." Marcus Tullius Cicero
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z30-STA100-5, Z10-STL100-3

I find the Kobo Reader to be very slow on start-up and somewhat unresponsive in use.  

I would like to see an "Application Type Indicator" on BB World so I can spot the Java/Andriod apps and avoid them as I see fit.  

There may already be one.. but I haven't spotted it!

iWm
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

mcl1dev wrote:

I would like to see an "Application Type Indicator" on BB World so I can spot the Java/Andriod apps and avoid them as I see fit.  

+1

As a consumer, I would like to see this as well.  The Android runtime is no panacea - with BlackBerry trying to court Android devs with the "see how easy it is" argument, we get a lot of half hearted efforts.  Just "getting app tonnage" is not enough, if said tonnage turns BB World into a minefield of ported apps that sort of work but not always.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z30-STA100-5, Z10-STL100-3

[ Edited ]

Agreed.  I do not like Android.  I want dependable, proven apps which WORK no matter what the circumstances.

iWm
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900/9780/9810

Simply, its simple, cheap, cost effective, especially for companies with apps with a footing in Android.

unless BBRY adoption goes up, going the android route over native makes alot of sense for them