Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

New Contributor
pimkoomen
My Device: 9900, PlayBook, DevAlpha C, Z10
My Carrier: N/a
Accepted Solution

881 error. Issue with manifest.mf file (multiple keys)

Hi, 

I'm currently having 2 different keys / certificates sets (one for me personally and one for a client).

I've tried to update my keys to the new set (to submit something for my client).

But now when I try to deploy an application I get a 881 (application author does not match debug token author) error, which sort of is correct and isn't at the same time.

When I look into the bar file I can see that the author & authorId fields in the bar-descriptor.xml file are correct (match the used debug token for the new keyset). But the Package-Author & Package-Author-Id are somehow still on my old certificate settings...

When I manually update the fileds in the manifest.mf file to the correct values and upload it to my Dev Alpha device I can still deploy and test it.

When I export a release build (with signing against the RIM service) the manifest.mf file is updated correctly.

Does anyone know where the packager gets the values for in the manifest.mf file?

I've tried to unregister with the signing authority, recreate tokens, wipe-out stuff in my c:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Research In Motion\ directory, but i can't seem to fix this.

Note: I'm working on Windows 8, using the Momentics QNX Cascades IDE.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: 881 error. Issue with manifest.mf file (multiple keys)

Open the bar-descriptor.xml file and click on the General tab to view the author information used when creating debug builds.

Release builds will pull this information from your code signing keys when exporting a release build.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pimkoomen

The problem is that the specific Author & Author ID information from the bar-descriptor.xml doesn't seem to be used (Package name, version ... information is used correctly) in debug builds.

I've been experimenting a bit and found out that when I use the commandline tools 'blackberry-nativepackager.bat -package xxx.bar bar-descriptor.xml' the data in the manifest.mf file is set correctly. 

So it looks to me that the problem lies somewhere with the qnx momentics toolchain, maybe a wrongfull argument somewhere?

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

It could be grabbing it from the debug token configured for your device.  To see that list go to Window menu -> Preferences -> BlackBerry -> Signing.

Remove the debug token from the previous keys and import the one from your current keys.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pimkoomen

Thanks Mark,

I can confirm that the Author & Author ID in the manifest.mf file are filled using the first? / oldest? debug token in the 'Debug Tokens' list on the 'Signing' page (menu->preferences->blackberry), when building a debug version

It seems to me that this is an issue in the toolchain and should be fixed. 

But it's an edge-case (multiple accounts) and there is a work-around, so it makes it minor.

Greets & happy coding!

Pim.

Please use plain text.