Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

9800 simulator doesn't match device

I have an application that I developed for the Bold that makes a lot of use of formatted text in a RichTextField. The application runs and looks exactly fine in the 9800 simulator. But when I run it on a real 9800 device the text formatting is incorrect. Text which had been centered is left-justified, and the text size for labels (which are italicized) is larger so they overrun their fields. I'm wondering if anyone else has observed inconsistencies of this nature in the use of the RichTextField between the simulator and the device. I'm at a loss for how to fix this as there's no easy way for me to know what the device needs to get the formatting right.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: 9800 simulator doesn't match device

Does the BlackBerry Device Software running in the simulator match that of the device?  You can check by going to Options, Device, About Device Versions.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: 9800 simulator doesn't match device

I've sort of resolved this. The problem was that I was setting the application font size to the size of the device (system) default font, and the default font was set differently on the device and the simulator. But there seem to be  some side effects of using the FontManager.setApplicationFont in conjunction with the RichTextField. That would be "off-thread" though, so if I can't figure this opne out I'll start another thread.