Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: AT&T

App stalls on simulator but not on device

When I submitted an app recently I was informed that it did not work properly on a Z30.  I made some fixes but as I don't have a Z30 (only a Z10 and Dev Alpha C upgraded to 10.2) I thought I'd use the simulator to test instead.  I have been able to successfully install the simulator (10.2.1803) on both Windows 7 and Debian Linux but on both platforms I have the same problem.  My app is successfully uploaded from Momentics to the simulator and successfully launches.  The splash screen appears and then nothing happens.  The funny thing is that by adding debug statements I can see that my app is in fact starting and continuing to the main menu screen.  So this appears to be some kind of graphics problem with the simulator not a bug in my app.  On both my physical devices the app works without issues.

So what do I do now?  If there is no solution for the simulator, does Blackberry have some office in New York city from which I can borrow a z30 for a couple of hours?  Or should I just resubmit without testing and hope it works now?

Some further information: my app is a game built with cocos2d-x targetting NDK 10.1.  My dev environment is a VMware instance running the latest Momentics on Ubuntu 12.04 with a Debian Linux host.  The simulator runs in a seperate VMware instance on the Debian host.  As I mentioned I also tried it on Windows 7.  Here I used the latest VMPlayer.  Both machines meet the system requirements for memory/graphics etc. listed in the simulator docs.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: App stalls on simulator but not on device

The fact that the splash screen appears proves the opposite in my opinion, the simulator is working fine it's your app that is not correctly working afterwards.

In your situation I would write a very simple cocos2d-x app (i.e show a square) and progress from there.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Contributor

Nope its the simulator.  I tried the simple cocos2d-x app and even some straight NDK examples (i.e. the gamepad example.)  All exhibit the same problem.

I'm tempted to blame my graphics card/driver combo but the strange thing is the simulator itself starts up fine and the built in applets.  I just can't seem to run my own apps on it.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Can you elaborate on the behaviour you see?  Does the application stay running but just show a black screen or does it close?  Have you included x86 binaries for any libraries used in your application?  The simulator requires x86, while a real device uses arm.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Contributor

Not a black screen but my applications splash screen as defined in bar-descriptor.xml.  As I mentioned, I put some logging statements in there and I can confirm that the app is running atleast upto the  main menu.  (Obviously without input I cannot get any further than that.)  Only the display is not updating.  Once I kept it going for 12 hours and there was no change in the output just the splash screen the whole time.  So it seems unlikely that it could be a library or mismatched binary problem.

My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Can you try creating a basic Hello World app using the same splash screen image and post the results?

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10
My Carrier: Fido

[ Edited ]

I have seen the same thing on every version of Momentics/Simulator from 10.0 to 10.2. It seems to me that available memory plays a large role in apps failing to get past the splash screen in the simulator. I usually see this after a long programming session where suddenly I am unable to debug an app past the splash. Sometimes it is even worse and I can't even just run it. A look at the Windows process monitor shows that QDE has gobbled huge swaths of RAM and not given them back to the system. In many cases I can get going again by restarting Momentics which seems to free up the locked memory, but this doesn't always work. In those cases I need to restart the simulator too, or in really bad cases, reboot the laptop.

The amount of RAM you have in your development PC is very important. To accurately simulate a physical device, the simulator gobbles 2Gb of your system RAM as soon as you start it up, and depending on your PC setup, this can be more than half of available RAM. My main development laptop has 4Gb RAM and it can just barely cope, especially when I have lots of documentation pages open in Chrome. I have another laptop I'd rather use because it has a bigger screen and much better keyboard, but I can't, because it is limited to installing 3Gb RAM, and Momentics and the Simulator won't even run at the same time.

I don't know how much available memory you have on your Linux box, but if you can, try adding more.

Jaldhar wrote:

When I submitted an app recently I was informed that it did not work properly on a Z30.  I made some fixes but as I don't have a Z30 (only a Z10 and Dev Alpha C upgraded to 10.2) I thought I'd use the simulator to test instead.  I have been able to successfully install the simulator (10.2.1803) on both Windows 7 and Debian Linux but on both platforms I have the same problem.  My app is successfully uploaded from Momentics to the simulator and successfully launches.  The splash screen appears and then nothing happens.  The funny thing is that by adding debug statements I can see that my app is in fact starting and continuing to the main menu screen.  So this appears to be some kind of graphics problem with the simulator not a bug in my app.  On both my physical devices the app works without issues.

So what do I do now?  If there is no solution for the simulator, does Blackberry have some office in New York city from which I can borrow a z30 for a couple of hours?  Or should I just resubmit without testing and hope it works now?

Some further information: my app is a game built with cocos2d-x targetting NDK 10.1.  My dev environment is a VMware instance running the latest Momentics on Ubuntu 12.04 with a Debian Linux host.  The simulator runs in a seperate VMware instance on the Debian host.  As I mentioned I also tried it on Windows 7.  Here I used the latest VMPlayer.  Both machines meet the system requirements for memory/graphics etc. listed in the simulator docs.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.  multiFEED Icon

Play nice: Clicking Like Button on posts that helped you not only encourages others to continue sharing their experience, but also improves your own rating on this board. Also, don't forget to accept a post if it solves your problem or answers your question.
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

[ Edited ]

Surely no developer ever has less than 8Gb in their machine! Smiley Wink

[Edit] Very useful info though and explains why I've never witnessed this behaviour.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10
My Carrier: Fido

In a few weeks I can say that too. Getting a new laptop early December and going for at least 10Gb.

Now if only I can get my app to pay for it. LOL

BBSJdev wrote:

Surely no developer ever has less than 8Gb in their machine! Smiley Wink

[Edit] Very useful info though and explains why I've never witnessed this behaviour.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.  multiFEED Icon

Play nice: Clicking Like Button on posts that helped you not only encourages others to continue sharing their experience, but also improves your own rating on this board. Also, don't forget to accept a post if it solves your problem or answers your question.
Contributor

SimulatorTest bar + src

This is the default cocos2d-x 2.2.5 application with two changes:

1.  A CCLog statement has been added to the spot where the main window has finished being created.

2. A 720x1280 splash screen has been entered as an asset in bar-descriptor.xml

From the simulator start screen, I selected option 3 for z30 emulation.