08-24-2012 11:48 PM
Just picked up the BB10 Alpha Device at the KW Jam yesterday, but have not been able to connect to DM on Mac to pull the update. Has anyone else experienced this?
Error message: The BlackBerry Desktop Software cannot connect with this device... blah blah blah blah, and gives me option to Retry or Repair (tried both, no go...)
Here are a couple of interesting lines I pulled from the DM logs:
(318) 2012-08-24 23:31:46.508 WARN** HTTP_REQ Commands Request: 'http://169.254.0.1/cgi-bin/discovery.cgi' timed out
(318) 2012-08-24 23:31:46.509 ERROR*** default Commands (0) Request Did Timeout: <BDRimHTTPRequest: 0x80b4990> -- http://169.254.0.1/cgi-bin/discovery.cgi(?)/ (5.000000)
(318) 2012-08-24 23:31:57.528 WARN** BASECMD Commands Device '[Device name:BlackBerry (<pin>) pin:<pin> model:BlackBerry hardwareID:0x4002307 GUID: 21AEED911F04585A7C18BB4382485D17CBB6100D - bundlenull)]' is bricked, will attempt re-connect
(318) 2012-08-24 23:32:02.528 WARN** BASECMD Commands Timedout Waiting for bricked device
(318) 2012-08-24 23:32:10.539 WARN** BASECMD Commands Device '[Device name:BlackBerry (<pin>) pin:<pin>model:BlackBerry hardwareID:0x4002307 GUID: 21AEED911F04585A7C18BB4382485D17CBB6100D - bundlenull)]' is bricked, and not recovering
(318) 2012-08-24 23:32:10.539 ERROR*** default Commands Exception BDQNXConnectException -- BDQNXConnectException (Device is invalid or in bootrom mode) created
(318) 2012-08-24 23:32:10.540 WARN** BASECMD Commands Cannot command failed to connect due to Device is invalid or in bootrom mode type: 2 errno: 0... clearing password cache
The device is on and perfectly responsive, and had nothing do to it beyond setting up wifi and logging on with BBID. I have also tried various combinations of device/macbook reboots, DM uninstall/reinstall, device repair, changing USB connection type, enabling/disabling development mode.
OS/X - 10.8.1
Mac DM - v2.4.0, build 16
BB10 Dev Alpha - 10.0.4.197
ps. Also, is the device supposed to come with a micro-sim tray in the slot? Mine doesn't...
Solved! Go to Solution.
08-25-2012 08:52 PM
The microSIM tray in within an envelope inside the package. I inserted a microSIM from a local (Brazilian) telco, as well as a cleverly engineered (from a normal SIM) one from T-Mobile and none of them was correctly recognized. I'm running 10.0.4.197 (the device refuses to update).
Do we really need to wipe our Macs so they run off a case insensitive FS (come component complains about it)
08-27-2012 01:46 PM
08-27-2012 08:55 PM
I tried on my Win7 partition as well, the option to update doesn't even show up. Already tried the troubleshooting stuff on the update page too. Not sure what to do now.
08-30-2012 11:37 PM
Try going into the dev alpha menu (little gear in top right corner). Go to storage & sharing. Set the USB connections to "Connect to ..."
08-31-2012 12:04 AM - edited 08-31-2012 12:05 AM
I've been having a ton of problems with reinstalling the OS for the dev alpha on my mac but I finally got it to work tonight.
Just plug your device in and let the desktop software connect. Then on the alpha, hit reboot and wait until the desktop software prompts you with the disconnection window with the Repair option, but don't click anything yet. Just wait for the alpha to start blinking a red LED and then hit repair in that window of opportunity.
Took me forever to get this procedure to work (I was usually either hitting it too early or too late, or I never saw the LED at all for whatever reason) but I finally got it working.
Also try out the above poster's advice about setting the Connect To dropdown to Mac, and also make sure there is no password on the device.
08-31-2012 12:20 AM
I didn't have the patience of raffi, and for some reason, even under Windows, DM takes forever to connect and show me the device password prompt. Also, the hit reboot-while-connected wouldn't show me the repair option anymore.
I did finally manage to update with the following (under Win7):
Something like 1.5hrs later, I had my device updated finally!