Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Developer
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

BB10 Dev Alpha Device Driver - or how to restore the OS

[ Edited ]

Dear All,

After having done a run of Development. I choice to use the wipe option from the security menu.

This all worked well and after the wipe the Device starts-up properly. The only thing is that the camera App is now missing.

So I wanted to try to restore the OS following the instruction on the BlackBEry Developer WebSite:

Get BB Desktop Manager 7.1 Beta from the Beta zone.

Install it, run it and connect your BB10- Dev Alpha device.

Note that  I also reinstalled my pc recently so no drivers for the BB10 Dev Alpha are present on the PC/Laptop.

So after setting up the BB Desktop Manager 7.1 Beta, I connected the BB10 Dev Alpha, but now it complains it can't install the driver or find it through the internet.

Following the procedure to restart the device to get it in "Brick Mode" to reinstall the software also doesn't work, because the BB Desktop Manager complains it can't install the driver.

Normally the BB10 Dev Alpha device when connecting to the PC/Laptop should prompt itself If you want to install the driver, but I'v not seen this anymore, nor it's special share drive withj teh driver after the security wipe.

This will also probably mean updating it to a newer version will pose a problem.

Therefore I'm llooking for the device driver to try to fixed the issue. 

As I doesn't seem to be on my Dev Alpha device any more I hope some one will be able to provide this in the near future. (or have it included in a new Desktop Manager version.)

I'v tried on Windows 7 x64bit , Windows 7 32bit and Mac OSX10.7.4 to no avail.

I hope this is slightly clearer than my previous post.

Former message ------

After wiping BB10 device, the camera app disapeared. 

I wanted to try to reload the device software, but using windos 7 x64 with the Beta Desktop Software B22, it can't find the proper device driver.

I cant install it under windows, as it no longer seems to be on the device (maybe due to the wipe).

Is there a place were we can download the devie driver for the BB10 Dev Alpha device ?

or could someone extract it of his BB10 dev alpha device (which you can if you plug in a compute for the first time).

----- 

Many thanks in advance.

Dennis 

@reumerd-- @BBDevGroupNL -- about me
If you like it, LIKE it ;-) ----- If it's solved, press solved ! --- If you solved it yourself, please let us know! We might have the same problem!
Developer
My Device: (BlackBerry Z10)-> Q10/Passport Dual Use

Re: BB10 Dev Alpha Device Driver

I do not think that is possible. You may have to wait for the update. Even then, I am not sure if the update will help since you say you WIPED the device clean.

Smiley Sad

Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: BB10 Dev Alpha Device Driver - or how to restore the OS

Have the same situation.

Even BB suport team  keeps silent....

Developer

That all folks.. BB Support not responding.. Previous debug token(works perfect before) now "not valid" now.. tried to create new and upload to phone. Phone tels "not valid"..
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 (White)

I also have this issue. It appears that this is a bug in the OS and there is an open issue here for it: https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-10

I would suggest anyone having this issue upvote it so that RIM take a look at it urgently.

I'm sure that RIM didn't mean to hand out so many dev alpha devices only to have them sit around as fancy paper weights! 

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 (White)

I have a found a workaround: Connect using Wi-Fi. 

1. Connect the dev alpha to your wireless network by going to Settings->Wi-Fi

2. Make a note of the IP address by pressing the help button in the bottom left of the screen (looks like a Wi-Fi symbol with a question mark on it). Note: This is different to the IP address listed under 'Development mode'.

3. Open Momentics and go to Window->Preferences->BlackBerry

4. Run the Deployment Setup Wizard and enter the device IP address

You should now be able to deploy apps over Wi-Fi.

Developer

Thanks for sharing that.

I already was using it (as I also used this for the PlayBook development and remote WebInspector debugging) , but didn't share it yet with you guys. (because I though most of you knew ;-) ).

If you like it, LIKE it ;-) ----- If it's solved, press solved ! --- If you solved it yourself, please let us know! We might have the same problem!
Developer

Hi.
I don't have problems with connect. I can't install debug token into device.

Highlighted
Developer

[ Edited ]

For those who wiped the device and couldn't find the device drivers anymore.

I was lucky to have my hands on another BB10 Dev Alpha device (through our developer group) and have extrated the device drivers from that device for both mac and windows.

You can download them here: 

www.bbdevgroup.nl/BB10 Dev Alpha/Device Driver BB10 dev Alpha.zip

Please note I still couldn't reload the OS following the procedure as mentionned on the BlackBerry Beta site. The BlackBerry Desktop Manager 7.1 still complains it can't find the proper device drivers and you have to check you internet connection.

Seems that that particular driver loader might be pointing to some internal RIM site and is required to connect to the NVRAM part of the device. ( Bootloader ).

btw, no news from RIM still on how to resolve this both on the issue, nor here in teh forums.

I'll double check if there are some updates on the Beta site.

Developer

[ Edited ]

This no good:

Instructions to update a BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha Device via De-brick method using Desktop Manager 7.1 B22
1) Connect BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha Device to Desktop Manager:

Screen Shot 2012-06-14 at 9.55.53 PM.png
2) Once the Device is connected, reset the device using the power option on the device and selecting ‘Restart’ on the
device. The following ‘Brick prompt will appear on the user’s Desktop:

Screen Shot 2012-06-14 at 9.56.01 PM.png
3) Select ‘Update’ from this prompt3. Please select ‘Repair’ from the second prompt:

Screen Shot 2012-06-14 at 9.56.07 PM.png
4. Select ‘Get Update’ and then ‘Install update’.

Screen Shot 2012-06-14 at 9.56.14 PM.png
5. The update will initiate and the following will be displayed to the user:

Screen Shot 2012-06-14 at 9.56.20 PM.png

We only get:

Screen Shot 2012-06-14 at 10.10.40 PM.png

AND:

Screen Shot 2012-06-14 at 10.10.47 PM.png

THIS is with the driver properly installed during the connection of the device:

Screen Shot 2012-06-14 at 10.11.11 PM.png