Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

New Contributor
fluffypony
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: MTN

BB10 Dev Alpha - Real World Testing?

So I was thinking...at the moment, the Dev Alpha is fairly limited in terms of real world testing. For example: the BBM API is now exposed (from what I understand), but without an actual BBM app on the device it's fairly useless. There are also real-world tests that are part of our testing practices, such as "application interrupted by a phone call" and "application interrupted by a message". You can argue all you want about letting QNX handle that, but in reality we feel the need to test an app properly.

Which leads me to a question: will the Dev Alpha get progressive firmware updates that enable "real world" functionality for testing?

I'd hate to think that, as a small development house, we need to shell out for an actual BB10 device in order to complete our app tests before launch. Given that the availability of such a device at launch may prove scarce (let's hope so anyway:smileywink: we may have to wait several weeks before we get one, and only then submit our app for quality review and put it on App World. It would be in RIMs best interest to properly support developers by progressively making the Dev Alpha act as a real BB10 device - including the full gamut of features and end-user would have access to - as the launch of BB10 grows closer.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,893
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BB10 Dev Alpha - Real World Testing?

If you read the latest blogs, updated testing devices are being provided to some developers.

I can certainly understand how that can't be done to ALL developers and that there is some rhyme and reason to those given the devices.

So, to answer your question.. yes, there is real world testing on updated devices.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
fluffypony

Hi J - perhaps my post was a little unclear. I think the hardware is perfectly acceptable for a phone. I'm assuming it has an acceleromator and whatever sensors are standard? It has Bluetooth and wifi and GPS? It has an earpiece and a speaker? In other words, the hardware is not the issue. The device, from a hardware perspective, is a fully-fledged phone.

The problem is that the BB10 Dev Alpha software is still, well, an Alpha release. And that's fine for now!

What I am hoping to see is that closer to the launch of BB10, there are firmware updates that add functionality like SMS, BBM, phoning, email, contacts and so on. I would like the Dev Alpha to be able to eventually be used as an actual phone, more suited towards real-world testing.

Consider, for example, a hypothetical Cascades application that registers that it can open a particular MIME type. On the current Dev Alpha firmware I could navigate to a test page in the browser, open a file with that MIME type, and have it launch my app. However, I would want to ascertain whether my app is able to correctly open that MIME type if it launched from the email client. Thus, an email client is necessitated. With a short list of hypotheticals, we could easily demonstrate the need for the device to become a fully fledged smartphone and not merely representative hardware.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

[ Edited ]

No, that's not true. The hardware AND software are both developing and evolving, as we speak... hence the need for RIM to send to 'real world' testing, new updated hardware AND software to selected developers.

Will it be more widely available... I don't know. But I do suspect it will be.

So, yes I understand your question, but aside from what has been reported in the blogs and known by some developers, your more specific questions are not answerable for now, except by pure speculation.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Developer
scrid2000
My Device: Red Z10, 32GB PlayBook, Numerous Android/WP8/FirefoxOS/Other devices
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Is this real world testing going to be done by developers who have not yet recieved a Dev Alpha (ie, California Jam), RIM employees, or devs who currently have a Dev Alpha?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
fluffypony

scrid2000 wrote:

Is this real world testing going to be done by developers who have not yet recieved a Dev Alpha (ie, California Jam), RIM employees, or devs who currently have a Dev Alpha?

Sorry what? It's our internal testing for applications we develop...we aren't RIM employees, and we only have one Dev Alpha between 5 developers.

Please use plain text.
Developer
scrid2000

[ Edited ]

Sorry fluffy, I was responding to JSanders comment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
JSanders

scrid2000 wrote:

Sorry fluffy, I was responding to ASaunders comment.

"ASaunders" has not posted in this thread.

"JSanders" has posted in this thread.

Please don't mistake or confuse them. One a bright, handsome, jovial, fun-loving guy, and the other one has a 'u' in his name. 

:Innocent:

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
fluffypony

JSanders wrote:

scrid2000 wrote:

Sorry fluffy, I was responding to ASaunders comment.

"ASaunders" has not posted in this thread.

"JSanders" has posted in this thread.

Please don't mistake or confuse them. One a bright, handsome, jovial, fun-loving guy, and the other one has a 'u' in his name. 

:Innocent:

If you add a line to the J it kinda looks like a U:smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Developer
scrid2000

Lol, my mistake, typo. 

Please use plain text.