Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Contributor
jkurtw
My Device: BB10 simulator
Accepted Solution

BBM not working in simulator

After reading several things online, it seems BBM should work in the BB10 simulator.

I have the latest version installed (BlackBerry10Simulator-Installer-BB10_0_09-1673-Mac-201212090321) and I cannot get BBM to open. I would like to test the sharing functionality in my app.

I have never owned a BB, but I created a BB ID. The app gets stuck at "Associating BBM with your BB ID". Eventually I get a red bang and a message about BBM not being able to connect to the server.

Any ideas?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: BBM not working in simulator

Did you follow all the steps in the readme.txt located in \BlackBerry10Simulator-BB10_0_09-1673\bbm?  Here they are for reference.

BBM Server Simulator README

Requirement:
1) Oracle Java SE 6
2) Oracle Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) Unlimited Strength Jurisdiction Policy Files 6
Download from Oracle Java web site http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
Unzip jce_policy-6.zip and follow the installation instructions in README.txt to install the two policy jar files.

Steps to run BBM server simulator
1) For Windows, run shortcut "Run BBM Server Simulator" to start BBM Server Simulator
For Mac, run runBB10Simulator.sh to start BBM Server Simulator
2) Start BB10 client simulator
3) Run Controller, go to Connection | Connect, click the record of the BB10 client simulator you want to configure, click Connect
4) Go to Device | BBIO | Connect to BBM Server, specify port 3101, type the IP address of the machine where BBM Server Simulator runs. The IP address cannot be 127.0.0.1 nor localhost even BBM Server Simulator runs on the same host machine as the client simulator. Click Connect.
5) Repeat from step 2 to 4 if there is more than one BB10 client simulator running.
6) Run BBM in the client simulator.
7) For Windows, run shortcut "Shutdown BBM Server Simulator" to stop BBM Server Simulator,
For Mac, run shutdown.sh to stop BBM Server Simulator

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Contributor
jkurtw

Thank you! I was not aware of this.
Contributor
jkurtw

I'm on OS X 10.8.2

It looks like only Java SE 7 is available for Mac. Will that work?

Or do I need to do this in a Windows virtual machine? If I go that route, should the BBM server in the VM be able to see my simulator on the Mac? I really don't want to reinstall the SDK in Windows.
MSohm

[ Edited ]

Java 7 should also work.  Java SE 6 Update 37 is the minimum version supported.

Mark Sohm

Regular Contributor
pskarton
My Device: Developer

I followed the steps exactly as far as I can tell, in other words I did it twice.

In  XP, eventually got BBM server to start up without errors. Not sure which version of server I have - links to downloads are hidden pretty well - if there is one on document page I couldn't find it. Anyways used the version t=I downloaded the LAST time I tried to get this to work. Java 6-41.

When I connect from simulator using controller, I haven't opened BBM yet, I get GME encryption error and Can't decrypt encrypted message <pin> in server messages. If I then try to open BBM anyways I get a "Temporary Server Error has occured please try again" screen.

Looks like it might be poilcy file incorrect but I download again from link and copied into folder.

Anyone actually get this to work and get around this problem?

MSohm

[ Edited ]

I've replied to your other post here:  http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Testing-and-Deployment/BBM-test-server-not-working-with-BB10-...

Mark Sohm

New Contributor
Vincie
My Device: Blackberry Z10

I followed all the steps listed, changed my pin and used a different blackberry id but keep getting Temporary Server Error 

MSohm

Please start a new thread for your issue and include output from the BBM Server Simulator.

Mark Sohm