Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Trusted Contributor
fireball003
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: CMCC

Bricked BB10 dev alpha while updating to 10.0.9.44

Hello everyone,

My BB10 dev alpha device is bricked while updating to 10.0.9.44. While updating, an error occured and it stopped updating, showing "An error has occurred while updating your device's software." A red LED is blinking in the device and it won't turn ON. I have tried several times to go through the instructions with no luck. How to unbrick it? any idea?

Please use plain text.
New Developer
mdarr
My Device: Torch9810
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Bricked BB10 dev alpha while updating to 10.0.9.44

So this may or may not work but it worked for me after I updated my Dev Alpha and I needed to get a new BBM account on the device.  I did a security wipe and basically removed everything from the device except the browser.  I was not able to do anything with the device.  Here's what I did to rememdy the situation...like I said it may or may not work for you:

*Ensure you have an internet connection*

1) Download the Dev Alpha App Loader ( https://developer.blackberry.com/blackberry10devalphas/update )

2) Plug your Dev Alpha into your computer with your usb cable

3) Ensure Dev Alpha is powered OFF

4) launch the App Loader.  It should be in a state where it says select device to connect (see image)App Loader.JPG

5) power your Dev Alpha on

6) the App Loader should briefly display an "unkown" device in the select a device propmpt above NOTE: this happens very quick and you have less than a second to click OK.

7) If all goes well you should be on your way to loading 10.9.44

Let me know how you make out.

Masood.

Please use plain text.
Developer
KermEd
My Device: NA
My Carrier: NA

I tried this earlier, and all it said was that the Unknown Device could not be recognized.  Will try again.

Please use plain text.
Developer
KermEd
My Device: NA
My Carrier: NA

Thanks - it took a few attempts to work but it is re-installing now.

To mention, if you are using Windows 7 & want to verify that the loader is working press Control+Shift+Esc.  Go to Performance and press Resource Monitor.  Double click on loader.exe.  You can monitor its download now a little bit better.

Ed.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
mdarr
My Device: Torch9810

Awesome! glad to hear.  Like my post if it helped...daddy needs a Playbook keyboard :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
fireball003
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: CMCC

Finally I have got the phone working again! And very glad to see the first non-playbook BB10.

Basically I tried pretty much everything in windows 7 without luck. Then I tried to recover using my Macbook. However the device wouldn't start after successful recovery. So, I got back to windows 7 again and tried to connect using desktop manager. Then it automatically started working.

It is worth mentioning that you should charge the device for a while after successful recovery.

Thanks a lot for your replies :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bren1818
My Device: BB Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Fido

Hey, first off mdarr your answer works perfect,

Just a side note for those who can't seem to have it go (like me) on Windows. Try this:

0. Unlplug your dev Alpha, but make sure it is on.

1. Click Start, type cmd and press enter (this loads command prompt)
  2. At a command prompt, type the following command , and then press ENTER:
    set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
  3. Type the following command a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
    start devmgmt.msc
  4. This will load up device manager. Expand all devices in device manager and delete anything relating to blackberry or RIM. (Dont worry it wont break anything)
  5. When all the devices have been removed close device manager and command prompt.
  6. Restart your computer
  7. When windows is loaded up, plug in the dev alpha (which should still be on)
  8. Windows will auto install two device drivers.

Now follow the remainder of mdarr's post and you should be golden! *Note, none of this may be required, but thats what got it go for me.

Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook

For those still having issues, we have posted an autoloader.exe file that should be able to upgrade the BlackBerry Dev Alpha to 10.0.9 from any previous version, regardless of the current state of the OS.

You can download it from this page (813 MB), near the bottom:  https://developer.blackberry.com/blackberry10devalphas/update

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Pradeep23oct
My Device: Blackberry 10 dev Alpha
My Carrier: vodafone

hey i also wiped my bb10 dev alpha A .

now on power up first it shows blackberry screen then some kind of connecting icons of mobile to pc thats it, and then nothing happen , no main screen, it just stuck in that connecting pic screen.

desktop manager find it on power up but after clicking update it shows cannot connect to device.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook

Use the autoloader file to fix that.  You can download it from the link in my previous message.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.