Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Testing and Deployment

Developer
urbanglowcam
My Device: Bold 9930

Can't bring back bricked Dev Alpha

So after doing a security wipe, it showed a screen with a usb into a monitor. I guess because I ran the security wipe while the USB was plugged into my computer. Eventually it just got stuck at that screen so I unplugged the USB cord. Before I knew it, I was stuck with a red light sequence and can't even get the computer to recognize it.

It's a single blink followed by two sets of two blinks. So I guess that would be 101111 in binary?

I've tried desktop manager and doing the debrick method and can't even pull up that prompt. The autoloader.exe does not work either since it gets stuck at the "Trying to connect to BootLoader". It's not low on battery as I've charged it for a good amount of time. It's not looking good.

My last resort is just letting its battery die and see if I can somehow bring it back from there. Unless there are any suggestions? I would really appreciate the help.

Contributor
iLect_1
My Device: 9300

Re: Can't bring back bricked Dev Alpha

Hi

You need to download the update from here https://developer.blackberry.com/blackberry10devalphas/update/ after running it the Dev Alpha should get back to life

Goodluck

Hit the like button if you found this helpful

Developer
urbanglowcam

Yes, I tried that. When it gets to “Connecting to Bootrom”, I plug in the phone and nothing happens. I even try doing a hard reset on it at that point and all I keep getting is "unrecognized device plugged in" on Windows.

I have tried this on both a Windows 7 and 8 computer. It seems the problem is the Dev Alpha A can't get a connection with the computer. It's as if there's a driver issue but I have the latest version of desktop manager loaded.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Is this a BlackBerry Dev Alpha A or B?

Try the following:

1. Connect to USB
  2. Start Autoloader
  3. Wait for it to attempt to connect
  4. Hold the power button for 30 seconds.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
urbanglowcam

It is a Dev Alpha A. I tried that exact thing.

1. I plugged it to the USB, got the prompt "Unrecognized USB device".
  2. Then I started the AutoLoader (10.0.09.2320.exe)
  3. After about a minute it still showed the "Connecting to Bootrom:" without a change.
  4. I then held down the power button for 30 seconds and was given the prompt in Windows again with "Unrecognized USB device"

This is done in Windows 7 but also a Windows 8 machine. The device just keeps showing a single red light flash followed by a pair of two red lights flashing. So I believe that is 101111 in binary. I still have the last dev build (1675) AutoLoader.exe and it made no difference. This all happened after performing a security wipe.

Developer
Zmey
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, DAC

Try to power down the device, then start the AutoLoader and hold top volume button + power button for ~10 seconds until red light blinks.

Also try rebooting the PC and plugging the device into another USB slot.

Andrey Fidrya, @zmeyc on twitter
Developer
urbanglowcam

[ Edited ]

I have no control over powering down the device it appears. At least I'm not aware since the same blinking occurs at all times, even when holding the power button for 30 seconds or more. I have tried rebooting the PC, switching PCs, plugging into separate USB slots, holding the volume buttons with power button, etc.

I even tried letting the battery die and try loading it from there. It does the same thing when it "powers" on. Then I thought the battery could be really low but I plugged it into the Playbook charger overnight like I usually do, and nothinng changed. I still have the same red light blinking pattern with nothing ever appearing on the screen besides all black.

MSohm

I did some searching and 101111 means bad flash memory, so there isn't likely anything left you can do to revive that device other than trading it up for the Limited Edition.

Mark Sohm

Developer
urbanglowcam

[ Edited ]

That's a shame as I wanted to revise my app for the Built for BlackBerry certification since I was denied. I don't think that will be happening anymore.

Thanks for getting back to me though. But I won't be denied a limited edition device because of this?

MSohm

Returning a broken device won't disqualify you from receiving the Limited Edition device.

Mark Sohm